My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Sunday, May 07, 2006

A Matter of Time

I finished The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was probably my favorite read of the past year. It dawned on me that this novel, and two other personal favorites, Possession by A.S. Byatt, and The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greer, all share a common element: the interplay of fate and time. In all other respects, each novel is distinctively different. It’s that fate/time dimension that drew me in and captured my imagination.

Why this affect on me, I wonder? Perhaps it’s a fundamental human fascination. Don’t most of us dream of a true and steadfast love fated to last a lifetime (or several)?

Or is it because I'm an ill-fated pilgrim who’s running out of time?

* * *

2 Comments:

Blogger an American placed among the English said...

I apologize... but I find your writing fascinating, so I've taken to reading some of your old posts.

I must agree that the "fate/time dimension" has drawn me in to many, many pieces of literature and has held me captive until I stop holding my breath when the last page stares me in the face. I am currently reading "Love in the Time of Cholera" for that very reason. We all begin running out of the time the moment we're born--I feel the same way you do, and I do believe we don't have many years in common.

Tue Jun 27, 07:25:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

There is no need for you, Amaris, to apologize for my writing. (I've already apologized...see my first entry).


Love in the Time of Cholera by Marquez is one of my all-time-favorite novels. You can even say it changed my life. The "Amazing Woman" I refer to, gave me a copy and changed my life forever...all at the same time.

While it's true we don't have many years in common, heartbeats are ageless.

Tue Jun 27, 08:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones