My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

The Hay Field



Is there a scent, in all the world, finer than the bouquet of freshly mown hay? I think not. Then, again, what do I know? I’ve not traversed the continents or the seven seas. I have not the imagination to imagine all the fragrances of the world.

Still...

I was driving with the windows open during a gentle summer rain today. There, to my left, was a hay field freshly mown. Oh, the redolence! The air hummed of Life itself! It was the scent of riches and sustenance, fertility and salvation. My nostrils filled with the scent of a goddess most loving, Mother Earth, Ceres or Demeter (call her what you will). Her perfume was all that I needed or ever craved.

I passed a hay field during a warm summer rain today...

and I felt...saved.

(if only for another day)

* * *

6 Comments:

Blogger Cheesy said...

I could always use a hand during harvest... remind me NEXT year to call on you!
Lovely thoughts~~You are right the smell of hay is heavenly. Well until you start to sneeze :0)

Thu Aug 07, 08:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm...I can smell it now.

Fri Aug 08, 07:35:00 AM  
Blogger anna said...

I've never experienced it.

Sat Aug 09, 08:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully written. I remember the smell of a freshly cut hay field in the UK as a child. Sadly, I can't indulge in the smell here in Australia as the grasses are slightly different and give me asthma. But I remember what it used to be like....

Sun Aug 10, 07:48:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda Starr said...

how i wish i could say i share this experience. . .never have but other scents to me are just as heady and healing

Sun Aug 10, 10:59:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Ummmmm...hold on a sec, Ms. Cheese. I said I love the fragrance of fresh-cut hay. I don't recall mentioning that I loved the act of cutting hay...(actually, I do, but I wanted to tease you a bit...)

Ah, welcome to my world Ms. Charmed.

Oh, Anna, dear...you have time! One day, without pre-planning, you may find yourself on some rural road (windows open, of course!) and you'll pass a fresh-cut hay field.

I'm delighted I could bring back faint memories, Selma! There's lots to be said for the glories of childhood.

Oh, Brenda, intrepid reporter! Hie thee to a hay field on a warm and rainy summer day. They're all around us, you know.

Tue Aug 19, 03:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones