My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Preferences


I have my preferences. I suppose we all do. Here’s a partial list of mine:

Education over ignorance
Science over superstition
Butter over guns
Red wines over white (except Gewürztraminers)
Romance over realism
Romance over lust
Full bellies over hunger
Shared prosperity over poverty
Diamonds over rust
Pearls over dust
Black lingerie over white
Happiness over sorrow
Labor over lassitude
Gratitude over envy
Fact over fiction
Diplomacy over destruction
Idealism over cynicism
Hammond B3 over Farfisa
Wisdom over charisma
Poetry over prose
Peace over war
Blues over Ragtime
Happiness over woe
Charity over condemnation
Laughter over tears
Music over Muzak
Natural over synthetic
Sweat over blood
Joy over sorrow
Discussion over diatribe
Zydeco over chamber-music
Sighs over screams
Piety over platitudes
Cookies over fish-sticks
Mystery over machines
Motorcycles over SUV's
Civility over rancor
Love over hate
Stilettos over galoshes (indoor applications only)
Kindness over disdain
Denim over silk
Nudity over formal wear
Right over might
Curiosity over certitude
Freedom over incarceration
Love over hate
Honey over "high fructose corn syrup"
Honesty over deception
Courage over cowardice
Pies over cakes


The thing is...I consider all of these “no-brainers.” Why is it that we, as a species, so often choose the poorer alternative?

Just askin’

* * *

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hammond B3 definitely.
(I like cake though. but not over pies. ice cream goes good over pies)

Thu Dec 18, 02:29:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

"Hammond B3 definitely."

With the requisite Leslie speakers, of course.

I'll grant you Napolean Torte and Black Forest Cake - but no more...

Thu Dec 18, 03:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, Boston Creme Pie, a good enough compromise ha ha
and yes of course Leslie

Thu Dec 18, 06:07:00 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Jonas.

Loved your list, although as one who actually WEARS stilletos, there are times when a hardy pair of galloshes (or Uggs) come in real handy...and make the more 'intelligent' choice.

ahahaha :) Happy Friday1

Fri Dec 19, 12:33:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Hi, Grace. You're right, of course, regarding footwear. I modified my original entry to include a necessary note.

Fri Dec 19, 02:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cookies over fish sticks, uh, gross. Fish sticks? Really.

Stilettos over galoshes, indoors only. People wear galoshes indoors? Really.

Nudity over lingerie for me. I hate lingerie, never found any to fit a flat chested, thick waisted, tall, skinny woman. Just saying. Too much information, right?

Too many damned questions. Or is it?

Fri Dec 19, 06:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent list apart from the Zydeco. I have friends who invite me to dinner and deliberately torment me all night by playing Zydeco. Let's just say the BigZ and I are not a perfect match. LOL.

Sat Dec 20, 04:01:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Ah, Deb...I feel your pain. As a flat chested, thick waisted, tall, (once) skinny man, I never found lingerie that fit, either.

Selma, Selma, Selma...gather up a few Subdudes CD's. They offer a blend of Zydeco and "Nawlins" that is simply irresistable.

Sat Dec 20, 02:14:00 PM  
Blogger Inside our hands, outside our hearts said...

Why? Because we are afraid of our own humanity.


T

Sun Dec 21, 06:36:00 PM  
Blogger Imez said...

forget species. Why do you, personally, chose the bad one? Or have you never?

Tue Dec 23, 06:01:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Hello, T (Ms. Inside/Outside). Thanks for dropping by and offering up a bit o' food for thought.

Good question, Imez. By and large, I've pursued my preferences through thick and thin. Sometimes, it was a challenge. Have I ever opted for something less? Of course. I'm human. My dendrites misfire, hormones rage, confusion and calumny collide (often). In the end, I find my preferences have stood the test of time.

Tue Dec 23, 10:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones