My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Cloud Whispers


Clouds tell their tales through form and motion. For those conversant in their language, there is much to know and true foretelling. I never was much good at reading tea leaves or entrails. I leave those arts to others. But clouds? Clouds speak a language I oftimes comprehend. And when they roar, well, even the inanimate/insensate understand.

The clouds are whispering. With ear bent skyward I strain to hear.

* * *

I had not known that the Royal Meteorological Society catalogs cloud languages. I may have never learned about these linguists except for an odd new development. For the first time in more than a half century, the cloud listeners are cataloging a heretofore unheard dialect (oh dear, methinks I may have beaten this poor metaphor to death...sorry).

Meteorologists have dubbed these clouds “Asperatus” based on the Latin word for “rough”. They’ve been sighted around the world in recent years, from Scotland to Australia, over Iowa and the Arctic seas. They appear ominous, dark and demonic. Although sodden with water vapor, they rarely result in rain. The heat energy required to create such roiling forms must be immense indeed. Physicists conjecture they may result when warm air trapped in the lower atmosphere bumps up against a boundary layer of the cooler middle atmosphere.

The clouds are whispering. May we possess the wisdom to listen
and learn.


* * *

11 Comments:

Blogger Cheesy said...

I am speechless... those photos are amazing!

Being speechless I suppose I will sit back and just listen.

Tue Jun 09, 09:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fascinating jonas, the idea of cloud language written across the sky. beautifully written portrayal of connected forces of nature

Tue Jun 09, 10:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jonas,
I totally believe that...I believe the trees communicate too. I however turn dour at the "explanations" and prefer just listening...for the magic.

Tue Jun 09, 11:38:00 PM  
Blogger Frasnotic said...

Hi Jonas,

As a Geography teacher, and one who has just finished a unit of work about weather; this is an interesting post. Thank you.

Wed Jun 10, 08:54:00 AM  
Blogger Ponita in Real Life said...

I've always been fascinated by clouds... and actually took a climatology course in university just for fun.

Those are stunning photos, especially the first one. I am sure the universe is a huge choir singing in grand harmonies that we are pitifully unaware of.... and are the poorer for it.

Wed Jun 10, 03:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never considered before that clouds have a language of their own, but it makes complete sense. Their language would be majestic indeed. Knowing they speak will make watching their formations even more pleasurable!

Thu Jun 11, 05:55:00 AM  
Blogger Woman in a Window said...

Clouds are always speaking something or another but there are a few times in my life where they must have been shouting, those special times where I've been caught, stilled and taken notice, never to have forgotten.

And I read your newer post but can't seem to get in to comment. That is so sad, the digitized playing. I like how your dream morphed into reality, I just wish the reality were a little sweeter. Now, to listen to that concert!

Sun Jun 14, 07:09:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I'm delighted that clouds speak to so many. I've always been rather partial to those ephemeral creatures.

Sun Jun 14, 08:47:00 PM  
Blogger S a r a h said...

Wow. I love looking at clouds...we get the most fabulous cloud formations here in cental FL.

Wed Jun 17, 11:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just came across a quote with clouds:

I felt like lying down by the side of the trail and remembering it all. The woods do that to you, they always look familiar, long lost, like the face of a long-dead relative, like an old dream, like a piece of forgotten song drifting across the water, most of all like golden eternities of past childhood or past manhood and all the living and the dying and the heartbreak that went on a million years ago and the clouds as they pass overhead seem to testify (by their own lonesome familiarity) to this feeling.

-Kerouac, Dharma Bums

Mon Jul 06, 10:19:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I'm gonna hafta reread Dharma Bums. It's been so long. Sigh.

Although Kerouac was of the "Beat Generation" and I of the "Hippie" persuasion, his words, thoughts, musings and adventures resonate deeply within me. It often feels as if he and I traveled the same roads.

Thanks for helping me wax nostalgic.

Tue Jul 07, 11:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones