My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Friday, October 15, 2010

After Midnight


It’s well past midnight

I gots blues and tangos in my soul

I gots me reveries:

Of that turkey vulture I admired on my ride today

Soaring like a James Dean.

Of the young ‘possum that ventured a bit too far afield...

And paid the price.

The north wind hints of hard times

I dab the gash on my elbow where that rascally roadside branch

drew blood.

I sip my blood red wine

Hungering to cradle beauty between scarred fingers

To kiss her like she’s never been kissed before.

And I wanna dance

Oh, how I wanna dance!

Dance as if I were young and fluid again

Dancing like heat

Moving like water.

And I pray for lightning

Storms and thunder

Silken sheets, too.

Aching for passion

I ache

* * *

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a line from a Leonard Cohen song, "I ache in places I used to play."

Me too:)

Lovely poem.

Fri Oct 15, 07:40:00 AM  
Blogger Wine and Words said...

*sigh*. The dancing I still do, in the oddest of places at the oddest times. It is best, unplanned. It is best, when the blues and ache have no better outlet than the flailing appendages of an aging soul.

Beautiful poem! Thank you.

Fri Oct 15, 10:45:00 AM  
Blogger Kass said...

Enjoyed the pull of this poem.

Sat Oct 16, 09:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The power of the dance shouldn't be denied. It is invigorating. I totally relate to this!

Tue Oct 19, 01:35:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Leonard Cohen certainly knows how to turn a phrase.

Yes, I ache in places I used to play.

Et tu, Annie? I, too, dance when no one's watching.

Thank you, Kass. I can't say I truly understand how my words may pull but, if it's good for you then it's good for me.

I gotta interject that I don't consider these musings "poems." Words spring forth however they do. I jot them down lest I forget.

I'm not surprised, Selma. Let's all line up and do the "Madison."

Tue Oct 19, 07:19:00 PM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

I am putting on the music dear.. Lace up those suede blues!

Fri Oct 22, 07:59:00 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Me too.

Thu Nov 04, 05:53:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I see a pair o' blue suede shoes in my future, Ms. Cheese. That, and another tattoo.


Et tu, Anna? I'm not surprised. Passion reigns after midnight. As it should. As it must.

Sat Nov 06, 09:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones