My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Time


It’s an awareness that grows within me. This notion of “Ars Longa Vita Brevis”.

I find myself astounded by the brevity of life. There were days, in early youth, that seemed almost infinite. There were seasons, years, that felt akin to lifetimes. No more. No longer.

I peer forwards and glimpse the truth of mortality. It’s just around the corner.

I felt immortal once. So mindless was I that I did my best to destroy myself via fast living...but I lived on. Little did I know that a human life is short indeed, considered in hindsight, regardless of circumstance. Sand flows through the hourglass regardless of personal effort to affect the flow one way or another.

Ars Longa Vita Brevis.

I’ve come to realize the truth Hippocrates discerned millennia ago.

I’m running out of time. I see it in the mirror. I feel it in my bones. Feel it in my heart. I’ve truly come to understand that “art is long,” that beauty is infinite...and the allotted days too few.

I’ve come to realize I will not live nearly long enough...to experience it all.

That no one ever has or ever will.

* * *

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that's part of why we create art, a hope for immortality. Or perhaps to express how we feel about the short time we are allotted to learn?

Sat Dec 11, 06:09:00 PM  
Blogger Ponita in Real Life said...

What time is left is precious... and I intend to make the most of what I have... with those who mean the most to me.

And that includes coming here to visit with you, Jonas.

Sat Dec 11, 10:07:00 PM  
Blogger Kass said...

These things are on my mind a lot lately too.

Sun Dec 12, 09:06:00 AM  
Blogger Scott from Oregon said...

At least you aren't a dog.

Sun Dec 12, 10:37:00 AM  
Blogger Woman in a Window said...

Sometimes, lately, around my day I get apprehensive, as though someone might suddenly shout, or something might fall from the walls and crush me. It feels as though I need to be wary. It's odd. I don't feel alarmed, just awake to it, spreading my vision out a little to take in what will come.

I wonder if it is this? If it is time itself that is alarming me, but rather than suddenly, it alarms me so slowly it is like drowning while in air?

xo
erin

Sun Dec 12, 06:07:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I won't venture a guess as to why we make art. I suspect the reasons outnumber the grains of sand in the Sahara. But what better way to live than to make Life art?

Ah, yes, Ponita...I'm kinda thinkin' I should visit Winnipeg. I'm not kidding. I'm kinda planning a big, honkin' loop next year from here to the west coast. Traveling south to the Pacific, then up the coast to Canada, then across the continent to home. Gonna spend some time in Europe first (at least that's the plan).

Yes, Kass. I understand why you and I contemplate similar thoughts. Kinda comes with the territory.

I dunno, Scott. One of my dearest friends (and a wise philosopher, too) swears he was a dog in a past life but he must have done somethin' bad 'cuz he came back as a human. Makes sense to me.

I really couldn't say yay or nay, Erin. The poet's heart works in mysterious, magical ways.

Sun Dec 19, 12:59:00 AM  
Blogger CallMeDanny said...

i really love your blog. can you please help me in mines.

Tue Jan 04, 01:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones