My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Sunday, May 08, 2011

Up to the Mountain


"Up To The Mountain (MLK Song)"

I went up to the mountain
Because you asked me to
Up over the clouds
To where the sky was blue
I could see all around me
Everywhere
I could see all around me
Everywhere

Sometimes I feel like
I've never been nothin’ but tired
And I'll be workin'
Till the day I expire
Sometimes I lay down
No more can I do
But then I go on again
Because you asked me to

Some days I look down
Afraid I will fall
And though the sun shines
I see nothing at all
Then I hear your sweet voice, oh
Oh, come and then go, come and then go
Telling me softly
You love me so

The peaceful valley
Just over the mountain
The peaceful valley
Few come to know
I may never get there
Ever in this lifetime
But sooner or later
It's there I will go
Sooner or later
It's there I will go

Patti Griffin

* * *

I've been listening to this song all evening. Guess it was something I just needed to do.

* * *

This is the sorta song that makes you wanna fling open every door and window, crank the stereo to "eleven" and scream to high heaven: "Stop! Stop whatever you're doing right here, right now. Just stop, dammit! And listen. Listen for that sweet voice (no matter how distant in the distance). Stop, dammit! Whatever you're doing, and look all around you."

Stop whatever you're doing and revel in that sweet voice...that voice may have shrunk to a mere whisper, true, yet never completely disappeared.

* * *

4 Comments:

Blogger GYPSYWOMAN said...

my windows flung open now and that magnificent voice floating in the breeze for all to hear! thank you so much for just the right words and message today, for me in my world! beautiful!!!

Sun May 08, 11:27:00 AM  
Blogger Ponita in Real Life said...

If only that's all it took for all the insanity in the world to end... I'd be screaming from my balcony...

Sun May 08, 08:29:00 PM  
Blogger Wine and Words said...

There's just something about music LOUD Jonas...where every nuance can be heard...and should! She has such emotion in her songs and every pluck of the guitar is etched with it. If I lived in the coutry where acres surrounded me instead of neighbors, I would place surround sound speakers on the trees and lay on the pillow of my arms...watching the stars slow dance across the sky.

Sooner or later...
I've been to that place, where only one song will do. And once ain't enough...not nearly.

Mon May 09, 04:18:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I'm delighted, gratified, that you found something comforting in this offering, Gypsywoman. Yes, the song IS beautiful (heard too muted by too few).

You're right, of course, Ponita. Still. STILL. There are voices that charm and beckon. And we are truly cursed if we do not hear.

We got ourselves a place here, in Illinois, a place called "Ravinia" where one can lay down a blanket and picnic in grace with the most beautiful music echoing through a forest grove festooned with speakers. Yeah. I'm blessed. I know.

And I've been to that place where one song...just one song...can make Life worth living...again. I contemplate (often) the fact that all it takes (sometimes) is one voice...

Thu May 12, 12:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones