My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Son of...


Seventh Decade Musings (Part Deux)...

I’ve been rather pensive the last few days. I’ve taken to cycling almost daily. Riding along open country roads a few hours at a time tends to send a loosely tethered mind such as mine adrift...and I was already in a “musing” kinda mood.

I believe I’ve mentioned, a time or two, that I participate in a few different Internet forums. There’s my beloved marathoners’ forum and several political, economic and investing boards. I’ve actually met a great number of the marathoners over the course of a decade. Even ran with a few a race or two. I’ve never met anyone from the other boards.

Yesterday, I learned that a frequent poster (a man my age) on an investing board passed away. It seems like it’s often that way. Here today. Gone tomorrow. No hint or warning. This particular individual had invested heavily in silver. He posted daily about any and every aspect of silver mining, silver’s market price and his specific investments. He was passionate about silver.

And in the blink of an eye he’s gone.

I hope he was happy doing what he was doing, spending his days the way he spent them. I wish that for everyone. I wish that for me.

I consider myself fortunate, indeed, that I can spend hours and days on end cycling along country roads. I find it both spiritually and physically satisfying.

But I’m greedy. I want ever more of each day to be satisfying, not just the time spent cycling. As a consequence, I’m drawn ever more towards emigrating to Lithuania.

I’ll be riding hundreds upon hundreds of miles this summer (Fate willing). I’ve lots to ponder. It pleases me that my musings often orbit about Joy.

* * *


Two days ago, I placed an order to buy me a righteous road bike. The technology amazes. This bike is a concretion of carbon fiber and sublime alloys. I’m finally ready to handle a bike such as this. I’m ready to venture farther and further.

* * *

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart skipped a beat when you mentioned emigrating to Lithuania and I thought, but then I'll never get to meet him.

How you feel about cycling is how I feel about walking.

Enjoy your new "righteous bike" Jonas. Life is short. Do what you want.

Fri Jul 15, 08:24:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Awwww, Lilith! Thank you.

I'm not picking up and moving anytime soon. This emigration thing is a process that's gonna take time. The wheels are in motion, but there's a whole lotta process that's gotta/gonna happen before I land all wide-eyed on a different continent.

In the meantime, I'm gonna do me a bit o' traveling across North America.

Walking has proven to be a bit tricksy for me. Some days I'm fine. Most days, I limp. There are days when it simply hurts too much. Cycling hurts, too. But not as much. As long as the pleasure outweighs the pain, I'll be alright.

Yes, indeed, life is short. I grow ever more aware of that.

Fri Jul 15, 08:31:00 PM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

It's walking for me, too. It grounds me and frees me. Yesterday I walked t 1/2 miles and felt like I could just walk forever.

I often think that if you can find joy and peace, what else could you need?

Sat Jul 16, 07:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been to Lithuania but I hear it's quite beautiful. I really like that part of the world. The scenery is spectactular and the vibe is really cool. If it's what you want, I hope you get there.

It is sad when people we know online pass away. Three people I knew quite well online have died in the past 6 months. I never knew them in person but I still grieved for them. They leave a void too. It just goes to show that love comes in all shapes and sizes.

Wed Jul 20, 08:39:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

What else may one need beyond joy and peace? Well, a good bottle o' wine ever now and then, a "Babette's Feast" and...well...we all have "needs."

Lithuania is beautiful, Selma, both in natural beauty and its cultural heritage/architecture.

And, yes, we do tend to form "relationships" with people known only via pixels. Sometimes these relationships can come to mean a great deal.

Thu Jul 21, 11:04:00 PM  
Blogger Scott from Oregon said...

I like the open logging roads, sharing the land with the black bears myself...

Rad news on yer bike, may never hear from you again after that.

Someone oughta go dig up that man who died's backyard. Bet he stash lots of silver there...

Tue Jul 26, 06:51:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I can't imagine riding the trails you ride, Scott. Bit too rugged for an aged git such as I.

Sat Jul 30, 09:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones