My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Monday, June 09, 2008

Jeebus, You're a Bad Shot!


Mind you, I’m not being critical. I’m not. I’m just sayin’. I’ve tried my hand at trap and skeet and...well...I suck. Clay pigeons (nor birds a wing) have little to fear from me. And, all in all (speaking only for myself), I suppose that’s a good thing.

But, YOU!?! The omnipotent Almighty! You had your shot on Wednesday. You tried again just yesterday. And then, again, today. Oh, dear Lord, I fell into a mighty funk when power failed for days on end. You made me sweat, indeed, you did; but...I yearned for more!
I lay exhausted in the wet grass. I was yours for the taking. I waited as the thunder growled and the clouds swirled round. I stood in plain view, arms stretched skyward. I stood there waiting...simply stood...as the Furies danced and wreaked their havoc. And here I stand, unscathed (bereft of creature comforts, to be sure), but, still,
I stand...even though all has been laid to waste around me.

Jeebus, you’re a bad shot!

I’ve heard you thunder. I’ve seen your lightning flash. I’ve stood mesmerized as the clouds rolled and spun 'round your gun sight. You laid waste to the communities to the south of me. You pounded your fist into the homes just to the north. You felled my trees, you scared my doves...yet...I’m still standing. It is I who should have suffered, not my neighbors, nor my doves.

Jeebus, you’re a bad shot!

* * *

Feel free to try again, tomorrow.

* * *

11 Comments:

Blogger flutter said...

This is great.

Mon Jun 09, 01:04:00 AM  
Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Is that a cow falling from the sky?

And, yeah, those storms were brutal.

Mon Jun 09, 09:34:00 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Maybe he didn't want to hit.

Tue Jun 10, 08:59:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Thank you, Ms. Flutter! The entry was an expression of frustration and despair. I fall prey to such emotions, every now and then, but these forays of mine are generally short-lived...

Hah! Ms. ThirdWorst, I wondered the same thing. The image was the best I could rummage in the midnight hour, but I have no idea what is falling from that sky...(kinda like here at the homestead...)

You may be right, Jay. Quite likely, there are a few kind acts inside of me, still.

Tue Jun 10, 10:03:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda Starr said...

I;m so jealous that you can make sadness sound so exquisite.

Wed Jun 11, 08:54:00 PM  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Next time try the Ben Franklin Kite routine? Make sure that you stand in some water on the highest point...a Golf course would be perfect...the 18th hole...

What am I saying? You need to watch Burt Reynolds recant in The End?
Remember that beauty?
Deep Thoughts.

Wed Jun 11, 10:58:00 PM  
Blogger rebecca said...

jeebus, it's not your time! don't you get it? but i suppose if all else fails, donn's suggestion might work....jeebus!

seriously, i hope you're doing all right and thank God you're still standing. we're happy about that! as always, your piece was fantastic.

best,
rebecca

Thu Jun 12, 06:23:00 AM  
Blogger someGirl said...

do not tempt...

Fri Jun 13, 03:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Jonas, as I was packing up equipment the other day as my hair is standing straight up, this very story came to mind. My immediate thought is that I had become your sacrificial lamb. After a couple of close tosses, I realized that I too was not ready to be claimed.

Stihl

Fri Jun 13, 07:44:00 PM  
Blogger anna said...

Your last few posts have left me feeling very frustrated and even a little angry with you. I have the urge to smack you the way Cher smacked Nicolas Cage in Moonstruck and order you to "Snap out of it!"

Sat Jun 14, 08:21:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I didn't mean to scare you, Dear Hearts. I suppose (in the fullness of time) I should explain my thoughts. I've not the art at the moment. Suffice it to say, I am not despondent. I am simply conveying my thoughts as they come. And thoughts come whatever way they will. I've tried hard not to be a censor, or a critic, nor a pretty picture painter.

Brenda, dear, life is too exquisite for words...even at its worst.

Donn, my practical friend, you are ever so pragmatic...(and funny).

Rebecca, yes, my time is not ended. I have work to do. And work I will.

Somegirl, you will surely come to learn that there are times when we must mock and taunt...if only to be human.

You have miles to go, Stihl. Miles to go.

Oh, Anna! You made me laugh. I remember that scene! (I kinda fell in love with Cher in that film). I'm OK. I am. The question far more pressing is: "How are you!?!"

Sun Jun 15, 12:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones