My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Save Me, Erasmus!

For six long months now, I’ve been battling bitterness and cynicism. I think I’m slowly losing ground. It’s a battle I cannot afford to lose. I’ve fought this fight before (more than a few times), but it feels different this time. Either I’m weaker, or my demons are getting stronger.

Maybe it’s an age thing. Everything becomes more challenging as you deteriorate. Perhaps there is an upper limit on the number of vows forgotten, promises broken, dreams shattered and love reneged that any one heart can endure. Who can say? How many times can words be traitorous before they lose all meaning? Experience too many disappointments, and bitterness and cynicism can simply overwhelm.

Save me, Erasmus! I need your wisdom more now than ever before. Five and a half centuries ago, you picked up your quill to scratch out your praises to Folly. I know, I know, it was a polemic against the state of human affairs but, nonetheless, your words rang wise and true. You understood the human heart and its utter dependence on folly. You observed:


“Jupiter, not wanting man's life to be wholly gloomy and grim, has bestowed far more passion than reason - you could reckon the ration as twenty-four to one. Moreover, he confined reason to a cramped corner of the head and left all the rest of the body to the passions.”

I’m not sure about that ratio, but I’ve always believed you were right. You understand the human soul. You even anticipated your critics:


“Now I believe I can hear the philosophers protesting that it can only be misery to live in folly, illusion, deception and ignorance, but it isn't - it's human.”

I took you at your word when you wrote:


“I think nothing more happy than that generation of men we commonly call fools, idiots, lack-wits, and dolts; splendid titles too, as I conceive them. I’ll tell you a thing, which at first perhaps may seem foolish and absurd, yet nothing more true. And first they are not afraid of death—no small evil, by Jupiter! They are not tormented with the conscience of evil acts, not terrified with the fables of ghosts, nor frightened with spirits and goblins. They are not distracted with the fear of evils to come nor the hopes of future good. In short, they are not disturbed with those thousand of cares to which this life is subject. They are neither modest, nor fearful, nor ambitious, nor envious. Add to this that they are not only merry, play, sing, and laugh themselves, but make mirth wherever they come, a special privilege it seems the gods have given them.”

I was just a young man when you first inspired me, Erasmus, when you pointed out that:


“The pleasures which we most rarely experience give us the greatest delight. Few there are that rightly understand of what great advantage it is to blush at nothing and attempt everything.”

“There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.”

Erasmus, my friend, come sit with me. Help me be a fool again. Who, but a fool, could believe in words of love when they have been proven false time and time again? It takes a fool to give all…sacrifice all…for another. It takes a fool to simply hope and trust. But…it is only the fool who will experience true love. Oh, Erasmus! Help me be brave enough to be a fool again!

* * *

(Ironic, isn’t it, that someone who has lost all faith in words would spend so much time searching for them?)

3 Comments:

Blogger Ed said...

"No matter how extreme a situation is, it will change. It cannot continue forever ... this process takes time.

"Actually, without these imbalances, there could be no movement in life. It is being off balance that keeps life changing. Total centering, total balance would be only stasis. All life is continual destruction and healing, over and over again.

"That is why, even in the midst of an extreme situation, the wise are patient. Whether the situation is illness, calamity, or their own anger, they know that healing will follow upheaval."

-- Deng Ming-Dao, 365 Tao

Fri Jan 13, 12:19:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Ah, Buddhists are always so wise. Those truly are consoling thoughts, and I thank you, Ed, for taking the time to share.

A half-century of experience has taught me the truth of those words. Everything changes with time. I am a work in progress...

Fri Jan 13, 12:34:00 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Deng Ming-Dao sees things pretty clearly, doesn't he?

His book, 365 Tao, is a useful and thought-provoking page-a-day "prayerbook" ... the above quote is from his meditation entitled "Healing," found for day 11 of the year -- the same day as your original post.

Take care, Jon.

Fri Jan 13, 03:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones