My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Monday, August 14, 2006

The Elderly Couple

I venture into the sunlight after an hour spent in my therapist’s office. I blink away the glare and begin walking towards my car. Half a block ahead, I see an elderly couple walking towards me. Both are small and frail. The man bears a halo of silver, his partner is crowned by a cloud of white. Their steps are painfully halting and slow.

They are holding hands.

As I approach, I hear them conversing quietly. Their conversation is muted, gentle and kind. They look at me and smile, then continue their private exchange.

As I pass them, I say “Good afternoon.” “Good afternoon, to you” they reply together. What they did not hear, for I only thought the words: “How I envy you!

There they went, my dream incarnate, symbolizing all that I ever wanted, my highest aspiration: to venture gently through life, hand-in-hand with a beloved partner…till Death do us part.

Never had I felt the dream so close. So unattainable.


6 Comments:

Blogger soul_rebel said...

there is something beautiful about aged, tested love.

not as outwardly fiery, no, but most of that's for pomp's sake anyway.

show me a pair that is content just to be, together, and i'll show you my greatest ambition realized.

Sat Aug 19, 01:33:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Yes, a magnificent ambition...realized by all too few.

Sat Aug 19, 01:45:00 PM  
Blogger eleanor said...

I too joined in thinking about this little post.

What a strange triumvirate we are...

Sat Aug 19, 10:29:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

"Strange triumvirate", Eleanor?

I prefer "quaintly eclectic"...bound by a shared ambition...

Sat Aug 19, 11:11:00 PM  
Blogger Moi said...

Golly, I want this for you!

Sat Mar 24, 12:00:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Ah, Ms. Gillette, it seems like such an impossible dream. But, then...I'm an impossible dreamer...

Sat Mar 24, 03:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones