My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Quenching Our Thirst


We met in grammar school (many decades ago), my band mates and I. We each spoke three languages: Lithuanian, English and...Music.
Of the three, it was the language of music that bound us together...and keeps us together.

We led radically different lives, were pulled in diverse directions, traveled down different roads. No matter. Inside each of us is Song. We hear it. We share it. And we love each other all the more for that. All the more.

Last night, we (this band of brothers) went to see Dream Theater in concert. Ever hear of them? A pity if not. Here’s a savory sampling:




If you, Dear Reader, have followed my blog, my ramblings, you know I have so little faith in words. Words can be such traitorous things. Words can cut sharper than a knife, lay to waste one’s hopes and dreams. I can live just fine without words, thank you very much. But music? No. I cannot survive without music. Neither can my brothers.

And so it is that when we find ourselves standing knee-deep in the River of Life...and dying of thirst...we turn to music, the only true language of the Soul.

Music sustains us. Music heals.

We went to a concert, my brothers and I, and quenched our thirst.

* * *

I drove home in the dead of night. It was past midnight when I left the city and sped down country roads. I drove through mist and fog.
I hurtled through the earthbound clouds. All the while, my soul was singing. All the while, I felt in love with every musical soul...I felt in love with my brother band mates. I felt in love.

* * *

OK. I simply can’t resist. Here’s another tasty morsel of two musical souls playing:



* * *

4 Comments:

Blogger flutter said...

music bridges that chasm, doesn't it?

Sat Aug 11, 06:04:00 PM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

So true. I'm happy you had friends to commune with!

Sun Aug 12, 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Ah, Ms. Flutter, music is a gift from one soul to another. It's a wondrous balm. As Billy Shakespeare said: "Music soothes the savage breast."

Yes, Ms. Cheese, I wouldn't be the man I am today without my friends. Wait...that might not be all that complimentary a comment...

Let's try this: I couldn't have made it this far without my friends.

Sun Aug 12, 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger Moi said...

It's so splendid to hear your excitement about time with friends and music. Happy.

Mon Aug 13, 06:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones