My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

For Sgt. Matthew Blaskowski


This afternoon, I received an e-mail request from a reader. Some of you may already know Jenn. Some of you may already be reading her regularly. If you haven’t yet found your way to her blog, I encourage you to do so. She has lots to say, and she says it eloquently

The reason for today’s entry is this: A member of Jenn’s family gave his life for his country in the desolation of Afghanistan. His sacrifice should not go unnoticed. No sacrifice of any soldier, anywhere, should go unnoticed.

Jenn made this heartfelt request:

I'd like to make this link a card for Matt's parents. I'd like to get as many comments as possible for them over the next couple of days and then give it to them. The funeral is Thursday; would like to have it finalized at that point.

Can you please post this link to your blog and direct commenters to it? It is for Terry & Cheryl Blaskowski, parents of Sgt. Matthew Blaskowski.

http://iservethequeens.blogspot.com/2007/10/of-america-heroes.html

Comments will be moderated; no anti-war messages will be posted.

Please, please, do your magic friends, and pass this link along to your friends, who can pass it along to their friends...


Please take a moment to offer solace to the broken-hearted.

* * *

Those of you who know me, know that I vehemently oppose war. On the day that our space shuttle, Columbia, exploded upon reentry...
just weeks before the beginning of our ill-fated invasion of Iraq...
I wrote these words:

"I sometimes run for solace. Today I ventured to a favorite trail for solitude and respite. The path was covered with decaying snow and a raw wind greeted me as I began my run to run from this sad season. As I padded along the limestone trail, my thoughts turned to the men and women on the Columbia. How ineffably poignant that they should die in pursuit of noble aspirations at a time when the world contemplates ignoble war. I took a small measure of comfort in the thought that, far in space, their eyes were filled with the majestic sight of our tiny, beautiful planet coursing through the dark void. One glimpse of profound beauty and then...peace.

I hope that when I breathe my last, it will be in the presence of beauty.

The trail felt hard beneath my feet, and I labored. It is true, what they say, that it is the living who suffer. We, the survivors, are witnesses to a sorrowful spectacle, this life here on earth. We rape our forests, defile our waters, and poison the very sky that nurtures and protects us. All too soon, young men and women, children-almost, will confront unspeakable horror. I grieve to think that some will breathe their last surrounded only by fear, pain and hatred. I question why the act of taking another life in the name of God, Yahweh, Jesus or Allah is not held to be the greatest blasphemy. Why do not the pious and the faithful proclaim daily from every church, temple, mosque, shrine and synagogue that the greatest evil is to inflict pain and suffering on another? How long, how long, how long, before we learn that cruelty is a sin beyond all redemption?

I did not find solace this day. I finished my run tear-stained and exhausted."

* * *

Four years have since melted away, and the killing and maiming continue unabated.

When will we learn?

Will we ever learn?

* * *



* * *



* * *

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been to Jenn's site and I feel so bad but I couldn't leave anything. It is a blasphemy, this taking of lives, this taking of young people's lives because old people decide it to be so.

I feel so bad for this young man's family, including Jenn, and I know there are so many more families in the States and in Afghanistan and Iraq that are grieving as well. For what?

Each new generationg repeats the mistakes of those that have come before them. World War I was called the Great War, the War to end all Wars. Sadly, that was not the case and still we believe that killing we solve problems.

That's why I couldn't leave anything at Jenn's site, because these words would leak out and I didn't want to hurt her or her family. I don't know how to separate the sadness I feel for each new death from the anger I feel for each new death. So thank Jonas, thank you for letting me safely vent here.

Wed Oct 03, 08:32:00 AM  
Blogger Twilight said...

Thanks from me, too,Jonas.
I feel much the same as deb. I looked at Jenn's very pretty, but very sad blog and left without contributing.

My heart goes out to all who have lost loved ones, both in the USA and in Iraq - let us not forget the - what - 1 million? dead and coutless maimed there too.

I will never be able to express my hatred and disgust of war enough.
I lived my young childhood in an English port, devastated by war, lucky to survive. But THAT was a war to right wrongs and defend our country from a monster. This war has no such purpose - other than ugly greed and arrogance.

Thanks for the video, Jonas.

I heard John Fogerty sing a little blast of his latest anti-war song on Letterman last night - "I can't stand it any more - I hate your dirty little war". Hear hear!.

Wed Oct 03, 01:51:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I understand and share your ambivalence. I'm the son of war refugees whose lives, families and country were destroyed by war. I grew up in a poor, blue collar neighborhood whose young denizens fought and died in Vietnam (as bloody and gruesome and pointless a war as the war in Iraq today). While I abhor war, I honor the fallen warrior and grieve for the grieving families and friends. I mourn the loss of the lost souls.

Thu Oct 04, 11:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This video reminds me of why I fell in love with Bruce back in 1974, when I heard his first album. I saw him twice in concert - and they were the best.

My condolences to all who have lost loved ones in this damnable war. I'll go visit your friends site and leave a prayer for peace for the family.

Fri Oct 12, 12:42:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Hello anon. I've got tickets to see Bruce in concert next Sunday. His concerts are absolute "must-see's."

Sat Oct 13, 09:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones