My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Gratitude



Ms. Gillette invited me to share a few thoughts about Gratitude. I don’t (can’t, in fact) write all that much upon demand. My thoughts tend to follow their own schedule, their unique process of gestation. Besides, I truly suck at self-discipline. Still, I’m grateful she asked, for it’s too easy for a melancholic such as I to fall prey to dolor and dark musings. Gratitude is the only effective counter-force, the only antidote.

I’m grateful for gratitude.

Where should one begin? Perhaps it’s best to begin in a time before Time, when all there was, was an improbable dream. And the dream exploded and miracles filled the void with billions of galaxies containing trillions of stars that burned with fierce passion, burst and died, releasing vagabond star dust that soared through the dark vacuum on solar winds until their magic coalesced into form and matter, rock and deep water. And from that water burst forth ever more miracles...the miracle of Life itself.

Yeah. I’m grateful for that.

I’m grateful that Life morphed and flourished in miraculous ways radiating across time and space until two most complex of lives merged in serendipity. Two hearts wove stardust and destiny to bring forth love incarnate. And...um...that would be me. And I, too, came to experience the incarnations of love in many forms and many ways.

And I am MOST grateful for that.

And I am grateful that I was blessed with tongue and touch, nose, eyes and ears to savor all there is to savor. There is so much. It doesn’t even matter (in the end) whether we tasted the bitter or the sweet. Whether we heard harmony or discord, touched the repulsive or the sublime. In the end, what does it matter, for isn’t ALL THIS more than one could ever grasp in its complexity, magic and magnificence? All that matters is that we, we concretions of stardust and infinity, had the chance (and what an incredibly improbable chance it was) to be witness. I am beyond grateful for that.

I am awed.

And I will be ever grateful for every act of kindness, for every ounce of compassion and affection that has been served to me, both in little nibbles and huge gulps. I am grateful for every expression of human tenderness and mercy. Yes, I’m most grateful for every gift ever given from the heart.

* * *

I only wish I had the maturity, serenity and wisdom to live my life as an expression of gratitude. That would be most appropriate,
given the circumstances, no?

* * *

7 Comments:

Blogger Cheesy said...

I am grateful we all have windows to share our thoughts and dreams and our woes. One doesn't feel so alone that way.. I am grateful for my blogging buds!

Thu Aug 14, 10:30:00 AM  
Blogger shadowlands6822 said...

I echo, cheesy, in that I am gratful for my blogger buddies and especially for you, Jonas.

I am gratful that I can read your beautiful prose that weaves word pictures that rival sunsets.

What a talent you are! and how wonderful for me to have discovered your blog and the man that is so very kind hearted to share his gift that was given to him from the foundations of this earth.

Many thanks to you, Jonas.

Fri Aug 15, 06:20:00 AM  
Blogger Moi said...

Eloquent as always, Jonas. Gorgeous...you do have so much, and another is your gift with words. So blessed.

(Glad you decided to do the meme. I know you don't usually.)

Fri Aug 15, 01:55:00 PM  
Blogger Frasnotic said...

Dear Jonas,

Sorry about my hiatus. Busy moving to Seoul and adapting to new home. Loving it so far.

A beautiful post. Would you mindif I adapted it into a form of prayer of gratitude?

Snowqueen

Sun Aug 17, 09:05:00 AM  
Blogger Leon's current assignment said...

Woof.
Just, woof.

Consider it copied for private review. I couldn't agree more with everything you so eloquently spoke.

__

Sun Aug 17, 09:30:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Well put, Ms. Cheese. I, too, am grateful for my blogging buds!

You are too kind, Ms. Shadowlands. Far too kind. I'm touched that my thoughts touch you, too.

I'm glad you enjoyed my musings, Ms. Gillette. Anything for a friend.

What a wonderful surprise, Your Highness! I assumed you were caught up in sundry relocation challenges. By the way, Ever-Trying (ET) has also relocated to South Korea on a Fulbright gig. You can find her observations here: http://theballad.blogspot.com/

You're more than welcome to use my words any way you wish. I'd be pleased to know they've been put to higher, better use than any I could provide.

Welcome, MKG! I'm glad you dropped by. Feel free to comment anytime. Methinks you may have lots to offer.

Tue Aug 19, 03:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A piece of beauty, indeed. I am grateful I can come here any time I like and read things like this. You do have a great talent!

Wed Aug 20, 10:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones