My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Can't Go Back Now

My favorite tune-pusher, Krista, had this song playing on her blog.
It stopped me in my tracks...made me catch my breath.



Yesterday when you were young
Everything you needed done was done for you
Now you do it on your own
But you find you're all alone, what can you do?

You and me walk on, walk on, walk on
'Cause you can't go back now

You know there will be days
When you're so tired
That you can't take another step
The night will have no stars
And you'll think you've gone as far
As you will ever get

You and me walk on, walk on, walk on
'Cause you can't go back now

And yeah, yeah, go where you want to go
Yeah, yeah, be what you want to be
If you ever turn around, you'll see me

I can't really say
Why everybody wishes they were somewhere else
But in the end, the only steps that matter
Are the ones you take all by yourself

And you and me walk on, walk on, walk on
Yeah, you and me walk on, walk on, walk on
'Cause you can't go back now
Walk on, walk on, walk on
You can't go back now

The Weepies
* * *

I can relate.

My night has lost its stars.

* * *

6 Comments:

Blogger Inside our hands, outside our hearts said...

I, too can relate, but then we all can if we were honest with ourselves.


T

Sun Dec 21, 06:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know me too, that feeling of being convinced that time is running out, i've had it since i was a kid always the same thing. some kind of a timewarp sense challenge, and lately its been with me a lot! but i remember having it when on my tenth birthday when it changed from single to double digits, i think itsa curse you cant be here now and there regretfulling past missteps at the same time know what i mean?

Mon Dec 22, 04:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know that the solstice occurs around a month before the season meets its peak.

In winter, it's a gift. I can console myself that the days are lengthening now, even though the year has not even turned.

In summer, it's much harder. The longest day falls some time before the good weather really gets going (if we have any, in this often soggy country of ours).

By the time we go on holiday, in August, the sunsets have started to draw in, and the certainty of winter darkness ahead is never far away.

Sometimes, life is like that, too. The human condition is such that the peak of life seems to recede ever further behind you the more that you aspire towards a future.

I'm increasingly certain that it's good to live inside the present.

'The past is history and the future is fantasy. All we have is now.'

Mon Dec 22, 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

But in the end, the only steps that matter
Are the ones you take all by yourself

Truer words were never written... Have a peaceful holiday dear one.. In fact come on over for football and snacks!

Wed Dec 24, 09:58:00 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Your stars shall return. I am certain of it.

Fri Dec 26, 09:15:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Many a time, I do not write responses to Dear Readers' comments. It's not that I don't stop and consider. I do. I find myself nodding, smiling, sighing or pondering. I am ever grateful, and never grateful enough.

Just sayin'

Fri Dec 26, 08:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones