My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Saturday, June 13, 2009

In the Distance


The windows were openly welcoming the breeze. Somewhere in the distance, I thought I heard a piccolo play. I found the notion both beguiling and strange. You see, I rarely pay piccolos much due.

It was a sweet ditty. Repeated over and time again. I pictured a small child, sitting on the edge of a bed, sheet music arrayed on a stand before her. She practices making soft sounds...music. Again and again and over again. This fugue of mine was comforting. These innate qualities of the human soul...to create, to strive, to pursue beauty...constitute a bedrock of comfort and hope. To serve us (as needed).

So there I sat, lost in a sweet dream, when the ditty grew appreciably louder...then much louder still. I heard the motor of our friendly neighborhood ice cream vendor’s wagon mutter its way down my drive. Those soft and plaintive piccolo notes were synthesized, digitized and amplified tones cheaply replicating an organ-grinder’s repertoire.

Funny how things change, yet every moment remains so very real.

* * *

And now, for those of you who wish to spend nine minutes with eyes gently closed and ears wide open (and let’s toss in sweet breezes at your cheek while we’re at it), here is the “Scene aux champs” from Hector Belioz’s Symphonie Fantastique (one of my most beloved passages in classical music):



* * *

8 Comments:

Blogger Cheesy said...

I'm sorry I HAD to close my eyes as the Asian sub titles cracked me up for some reason!

Funny as soon as I read piccolo.. I thought ice cream. Weird.

Sat Jun 13, 11:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely music, thank you.

Sun Jun 14, 07:28:00 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

Great music Jonas.

Sun Jun 14, 05:25:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I'll have you know, Ms. Cheese, I'm lost without Korean subtitles. Just sayin'.

I'm delighted you enjoyed that bit o' Hector, Deb and Jay! I find it perfect: a lonely shepherd playing his flute and dreaming of his True Love. Hopes and doubts abound. All expressed so poignantly.

Sun Jun 14, 08:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a church with a synthesized carillon near my home. I knwo it's electronic, but I just love to hear it anyway.

Tue Jun 16, 04:34:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

OK. Granted, Citizen. Carillons (electric or otherwise) DO have their place.

Wed Jun 17, 10:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To hear Berlioz again is such a treat.
The piccolo is an instrument you don't hear as much these days. Like the oboe. Both are beautiful instruments.

Wed Jun 17, 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Being a former clarinet player meself, Selma, I'll forever keep all woodwinds in a warm place in my heart.

Then again...I kinda like bangin' on de drum all day.

Wed Jun 17, 10:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones