My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Burn (or not)


My favorite covert peace operative related a tale of burning love messages as a means to an end...the end being peace o’ mind.

I find the act/thought fascinating.

‘Cuz I behave in the exact opposite way.

Now, I’m not one to say I’m right. Lord forbid. No! I don’t think I’m either wrong or right. I’m just me. I reserve the right to be as screwed up as I am or wanna be.

I’ve met more than a few (females, mostly, interestingly enough) who recover from heartache via immolation of artifacts...photographs...
letters. I kinda get it.

Kinda don’t.

I’ve never been moved to destroy whatever relics remained from a love gone wrong. Quite the opposite. I’ve been one to cling to mementos. I cherish my photographs. The passionate e-mails. The vows and troths once promised (but NEVER delivered).

I’m not sure why I am the way I am. It’s prolly a character flaw, but let’s think POSITIVE, m’kay?

I cherish my memories. Memories of good times. Of pleasure.
Of dreams. Of SUCH great promise. I know. I know. Life don’t work quite like that. I know. Gawd, how I know!

Still.

Still, I remember the good times. The passion and the promises made.

Silly man that I am, I remember.

Some nights....

Those past passions and promises are all that sustain me.

* * *

6 Comments:

Blogger Woman in a Window said...

That you just wrote "prolly" a character flaw, oh Jonas, tell me it was on purpose. But of course it was. I love it!

And what the hell are you talking about? You mean all the promise and passion doesn't last forever? Oh Jonas. Tell me it isn't so.

(And yet I like that you hold these times and cherish them. Says a lot to character, Jonas.)

Fri Aug 21, 06:00:00 AM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

I do hold on to some mementos. A few loving emails, a gift. But it's the memories of the bad I want rid of. Because what I know about me is that over time, it's the good memories that linger in my heart and mind and those I have no interest in losing.

Fri Aug 21, 10:58:00 AM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

With the losses in my life I too am a hoarder of moments. But those are my treasures.

Sat Aug 22, 01:48:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

My favorite covert peace operative nailed it. Over time, only the good times, fond memories remain.

Once we heal, that is (see subsequent entry).

Sun Aug 23, 09:42:00 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

This moment is my favorite.

As Soren Kierkegaard said, "If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of the potential, for the eye which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible. Pleasure disappoints, possibility never."

Wed Aug 26, 11:06:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I like that quote, Jay!

But...truth be told...people who quote Kierkegaard kinda scare me...

Just sayin' (I kid. I kid).

Fri Aug 28, 12:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones