My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Sunday, December 12, 2010

On a Winter Day



 Because this day begs to be expressed as music...and this is the song.

* * *

They graciously invited me to join them to view the Winter Lights at Seneca Creek State Park. It’s a holiday tradition in Gaithersburg. The park is festooned with lights beyond count. As night embraces the forest, cars enter the park and slowly wend their way through a glowing wonderland.

I was sprawled across the back seat, bemused and enchanted by youth’s enthusiasms. Retina reveled. Dreams and longings drifted through this aging man-child’s brain. We each fell into our own reveries as Ray LaMontagne sang of winter birds. Three singular souls, family and friends, bound together by threads of peace and joy.


* * *

8 Comments:

Blogger Kass said...

Somehow I imagine this is how you would sing. Beautiful song. Beautiful sentiments.

Sun Dec 12, 12:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely song.

Sun Dec 12, 01:59:00 PM  
Blogger June Calender said...

Beautiful, beautiful lights -- the true wonder this time of year, calling back the sun with the magic of the man-made.

Sun Dec 12, 03:38:00 PM  
Blogger Wine and Words said...

Mmmm. This is nice. Love him. Especially..."Three More Days" and "You Can Bring Me Flowers" and "Let it Be Me"... and and and :)

Fri Dec 17, 11:57:00 PM  
Blogger linasphotos said...

It was wonderful spending time with you and you visiting...I'm glad you had a wonderful time...I know we did! Hugs!

Sat Dec 18, 08:52:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

That's a high compliment, indeed, Kass. Sigh. I wish I could lay claim to a voice like that. Ray LaMontagne reduces me to tears at times.

I'm a big Ray LaMontagne fan, Lilith (as if that weren't obvious). Every CD he's released is a gift to the ears (and heart).

It all makes sense to me, June. We humans remake our world in order to survive. It's no wonder we bring light and wonder to brighten our darkest days.

It tickles me no end, Annie, to find someone whose tastes in music mesh so smoothly with mine.

Ah, Dear Niece! I hold the memory of our evening together close to my heart.

Sun Dec 19, 01:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is stunning. I am truly moved. Wishing you comfort and joy this Christmas season, Jonas xxx

Mon Dec 20, 03:48:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Ah, Selma, it pleases me no end whenever someone finds a scintilla of beauty or value here.

I, myself, keep repeating Ray LaMontagne's song over and over and over again. The night is cold. Snow falls gently blanketing the earth in hush. It's all so peaceful. Beautiful. Heartfelt and comforting. The music and the night bring me to a rare state of grace. For that, I'm grateful. And should you feel it, too...well...I'm grateful/pleased beyond all measure.

Merry Christmas

Mon Dec 20, 09:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones