My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Monday, October 31, 2005

In The Name Of Love

It would appear that I’ve composed a trilogy of sorts. Perhaps I should call it my “Dreams and the Damage Done” sequence.

I have much to apologize for in my life. I may not have loved wisely or well, but I have loved (and still do). I am certainly not a wise man, but I am wise enough to know that much of what is done in the name of love has nothing to do with love at all.

It’s a bit of a sore subject with me. Last Thursday night, I received a bevy/flock/ brace/gaggle...whatever...of emails written solely to inflict hurt and shame. Purportedly, love was the impetus.

Hardly.

I am bewildered by all that we inflict on others in the name of love. Love confers no claim, nor grants a license to insult, belittle, ignore, harass, control, intimidate, mock or harm. Acts committed in the name of love that strangle the soul, violate boundaries, diminish the spirit or cause heartache are not acts of love. Far from it. We dishonor the very concept of love by asserting that hurts may spring from love. They don’t.

Acts of love are acts of generosity, respect, honor, good will, patience, charity, hope, humor, joy, appreciation, kindness, understanding, empathy and solace. Love elevates the spirit and fills the heart with song. The difference between love and everything else we experience in life is quite stark. There is no mistaking true love...but there are so many impostors...

* * *

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones