My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick's Day


We Americans celebrate St. Patrick (sorta). We celebrate the Irish. Good humor, a touch o’ Irish brogue, street parades, corned beef and cabbage (and the requisite boiled potatoes) for dinner, green beer and a wee bit o’ madness and mayhem burst forth this day. The City of Chicago dyed its river green today (as it does every year). It’s actually kinda cool to see. The streets and taverns overflow with revelers.

Erin go bragh!

Funny (but not really), I feel as if some exile standing outside, alone in the rain...looking on with empty eyes. I honestly delight in Irish culture. I’m an absolute sucker for films about the trials, tribulations and amorous doings in Irish hamlets (and there have been many).
In fact, I actually studied Irish culture in a social anthropology class decades ago. I like the Irish. I do.

The thing is, though, two of my grandest of grand passions were Irish colleens. Surprising that a Lithuanian boy would say this, I suppose, but it’s true. It was probably mere coincidence, nothing at all to do with the Irish per se. I guess I was fated (ill or otherwise) to fall in love with these two most fascinating women (decades apart) who sent me soaring higher than I had ever soared...and sent me crashing back to earth harder than I could have ever imagined. Hard enough to almost kill me.

There’ll be no green beer for me. No green derby. No four-leaf clover.

I’m swilling straight, crystal-clear vodka.

Alone

* * *

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vodka? Really? I can't drink it unless it is liberally cut with OJ or tonic water. I didn't do the revelry thing tonight since I'm home with the kids. But I', listening to my son singing a song ca;ed "Donald McGillivrey" as he plays a computer game, so it's sort of like a celebratory thing.

Tue Mar 17, 08:27:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Vodka, yes. I'm Lithuanian...an eastern European. If you ever visit my motherland you'll discover that eastern Europeans consume vodka like water. I kid you not.

You have much to celebrate, Ms. Citizen! Being Irish with a honkin' new mortgage, beautiful children, rainbow foods and intergalactic visitors right outside your door!

While I'm at it, I wish you well Thursday (literally and figuratively). Really. Truly.

Tue Mar 17, 08:34:00 PM  
Blogger lu said...

Easy on the vodka Jonas.

Relationships are rotten difficult to make work and figure out. When ever we lose a love there is so much lingering, bits and pieces, reminders of loss and love everywhere.

Wed Mar 18, 12:21:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I appreciate your concern/admonition, lu. Truly.

I don't drink all that often, and I've rarely been drunk. Every now and then, though, I gotta do somethin' to numb the pain...lest I rip my heart out with my bare hands.

Yes. A whole lot lingers when love turns to ashes...for a lifetime.

Wed Mar 18, 02:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, all Irish on St. Patrick's Day, but part-Irish the rest of the year! Also a mix of the rest of the British Isles, German, French and a bit of African thrown in for good measure.

Wed Mar 18, 05:31:00 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

Nothing like spending an evening with two old friends. Bitter-sweet memories and a bottle of anything.

As long as you don't make a habit of it. Or end up running around outside in a bathrobe shaking your fist in the air yelling "Why! Why!"

Wed Mar 18, 08:22:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I kinda got a kick outta your DNA, Ms. Citizen (I'm a biologist, so DNA intrigues me greatly). As far as I know, I'm pure-blood Lithuanian, but that doesn't mean squat 'cuz my family was essentially exterminated during WWII and its aftermath. I have absolutely no idea who my forebearers were.

I really like your "two friends" turn of phrase, Jay. Yes, I do get together with them every now and then. Never happened before on St. Patrick's Day, but life is tricksy that way.

There's great wisdom in the phrase "everything in moderation". I've skirted perilously close to the abyss at times, but I'm still here (I have friends who aren't). Besides, my ears still burn red from the time I was picked up on the street in my bathrobe screaming "Why? Why?"

Don't wanna go there again.

Wed Mar 18, 10:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about the Irish Colleens. I can understand why St. Paddy's Day is not one of your faves. XXX

Thu Mar 19, 04:33:00 AM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

How in the world did I miss this post? I wasn't even partaking in a martini,, I swear...

As for the collens~
Must have been redheads,,, we
are
trouble~

Fri Mar 20, 02:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see the Chicago boy (although I think it was his girl's idea) dying the White House fountains green for the occasion.

Small things can make a big difference. As can a good pint of Guinness, just about anywhere in the world.

Wed Mar 25, 11:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones