My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Saturday, March 07, 2009

I Celebrate


I celebrate the miracle day that hitches a ride on winter’s bedraggled tail. I celebrate the day that emerges, as if by sheer magic, from the cold and dreary fog...the day that demands that all windows be thrust open to flood dusty rooms with joy. You recognize that day. We all do. It visits once each year...this day of beloved blossoming.

As I throw back the curtains and breathe in the warmth and light,
I feel my heart and soul burst open, releasing all that had been confined or left for dead during the dark and frigid winter. Chimes seemingly ring as I burst open and become weightless. Gravity holds no sway on a day such as this. All that I bore for so long, the darkness and my winsome dreams, ascend to Heaven.

In bygone years, when I was filled with passion and rainbows, the contents of my heart and soul burst forth as butterfly swarms. And I would chase along, rushing to embrace the world. More often than not, I would roll a somnolent motorcycle out from under its blanket. I’d strike a spark and resurrect my iron Lazarus to propel me hair flying into the gaily dancing sunlight.

I am quite a bit more gray these days, a bit more burdened by burdens. On this miracle day,
I crack and break to release the flocks of bats that have haunted my deep recesses. They, too, take flight...swooping, soaring, then disappearing. It’s all the same.

Whether filled with butterflies or bats, I float free on the fresh breeze.

* * *

20 Comments:

Blogger Ponita in Real Life said...

Excellent! Don't you still have that ancient Iron Lazarus stashed away somewhere? Get that thing out and running and let your hair fly once more, Jonas. And your spirit with it.

Sat Mar 07, 11:42:00 PM  
Blogger shadowlands6822 said...

I, too, vote for the throaty rubble of the pipes on that old hog...Get on it and ride, Jonas, ride...

Sun Mar 08, 08:10:00 AM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

Oh wait a moment....

Let me savor these words!

I feel a little spark of joy emitting from your fingers~mmmmmmmm they are sweet pastry to my eyes!

Sun Mar 08, 12:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea! This sounds like both literal and metaphorical truth. Yesterday I opened all the windows of the house and slept with the breeze coming in for the first time since fall. It's a hopeful thing.

Sun Mar 08, 07:40:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Restoring my motorcycle is most definitely on my To Do list. She's been in storage for a looooong time. The cost estimate(s) should be interesting.

"...sweet pastry to my eyes!" An interesting turn of phrase. The imagery made me smile...well...OK...laugh.

Metaphorical? I dunno. I really am full of bats...

Sun Mar 08, 11:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice ride, and great piece jonas. brought forth many thoughts and ideas, like the poetic/implied comparison of the effects of the same or similar action/reaction as viewed over time, then and now, past/present -different kinds of buckets, similarities in the structures of the wells, that is very cool. a tall cool glass of water!

Mon Mar 09, 12:39:00 AM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

Hehehe sorry I was hungry at the time!

Mon Mar 09, 11:12:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Thank you Ms. Tipota!

Just so you know, Ms. Cheese, I've taped blueberry tarts over my eyes ('cuz I always wanted blue orbs).

Mon Mar 09, 01:11:00 PM  
Blogger Woman in a Window said...

THAT is one helluvan insight! Bats or butterflies, soar.

Mon Mar 09, 03:24:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

That's quite a compliment coming from Princess Pella. Thank you.

Mon Mar 09, 04:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had no miracle day yet, no respite from the cold, just colder still.

But your writing did lift my spirits Jonas and thank you for that. You made me smile.

Mon Mar 09, 04:41:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Your miracle day will come, Deb. It most certainly will.

Mon Mar 09, 04:45:00 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Life in every breath.

"O the joy of my spirit--it is uncaged--it darts like lightning!
It is not enough to have this globe or a certain time,
I will have thousands of globes and all time.
"- Walt Whitman.

Mon Mar 09, 05:38:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Thank you for that, Jay! Whitman, at his best, had much to say. I don't revere him as much as my pantheon of three: Neruda, Swenson and Oliver...but...I don't refuse helpings of Whitman, either.

Mon Mar 09, 05:51:00 PM  
Blogger Smiler said...

I've forgotten what that feels like. I used to say "no matter how gray it is outside, I always remember that somewhere in the world the sun is shining". Now I think about that and think: yeah, so? It'll take a miracle to make me see the light again, that's for sure.

Tue Mar 10, 04:11:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Oh, Smiler!!! Life, itself, is a miracle. Light? That's child's play. You'll see the light again, experience the miracles, again.

Yes, you will...if you so choose.

Choose wisely (says the melancholic to the lost soul)

Tue Mar 10, 10:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is what life is all about. I can see the fresh air rushing through the windows. Definitely worth waiting for.

Wed Mar 11, 06:33:00 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

I think I am older than you, so I don't really float on the fresh breeze, I just sort of hold on to it.

Wed Mar 11, 07:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crack the shutters open wide.

That's Snow Patrol from their new album. And we've got tickets to see them live in London on Monday.

Two young teenagers and one slightly older one can hardly wait.

Fri Mar 13, 10:22:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Yes, Selma, Nature and Life give us greap heaps of everything, both the good and the bad. It's a wild ride...

Older than I, Maria? Thank you sweetie. I was feeling mighty old. I'm 57...and I still get blown about by breezes.

As a long-time Snow Patrol fan, I'm jealous, Roads. Enjoy!

Fri Mar 13, 12:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones