My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Sunday, September 06, 2009

One December Night


The average temperature during a December day in the Chicago area is somewheres ‘round freezing. The nights are significantly colder, natch.

I had been invited to a “party” by long-time friend. She had had a brainstorm. Her close friend had lost her husband in months past and this friend had been having a rough go of it...just weeks ago shattering her elbow in a slip on ice at her local “gas n’ gulp”. So this long-time friend calls me to cajole me into attending a mid-December soiree expressly designed to introduce said close friend to a number of eligible bachelors.

Categorically speaking, I was, I guess, an “eligible bachelor” (at that point in time, anyway). You see, I had suffered through a divorce many months ago. I was tall, thin, well-paid, sober, reasonably healthy and somewhat sane. I guess that’s all it takes to be “eligible”.

I felt no great interest in attending the planned “meet ‘n greet”. I was kinda jaded. Not just jaded, actually...wounded...deeply wounded.
I demurred...but did not decline.

That weekend night found me footloose, so I ventured forth to my long-time friend’s abode.

I rang the doorbell and was greeted at the open door by a skeptical gal with an arm wrapped in a sling. She seemed unimpressed. She was the hostess’ close friend...and I was the dazed “bachelor number whatever”.

The evening was pleasant enough. The host and hostess were dear friends. They were/are intellectuals, gourmands. Any evening spent in their presence was guaranteed to be filled with provocative conversation, beguiling victuals and exquisite liquors.

Long past midnight, the host (three sheets to the wind) cracked open a tome of Lithuanian poetry and read a verse that took my breath away. “Skeptical gal” exhibited the exact same reaction.

I offered to drive her home. She accepted my offer.

And so it came to pass that I transported her home...on a December night when the thermometer registered a temperature in the mid-60’s...a phenomenon I had NEVER experienced before (or since).
We were both transfixed. Somewhat flummoxed and dumbstruck.
We spoke in whispers...enveloped in magic.

And so we sat outside in her backyard sanctuary through the warm, dark night hours leading us to dawn. Both marveling at the mystery and strangeness of it all.

And I asked her if she would like to see me again.

And she said “No”.

And so it began...

The story of the love of my life...

* * *

14 Comments:

Blogger Christella D. Moody said...

Love it. Great story.

Sun Sep 06, 02:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not an auspicious start.

Sun Sep 06, 08:23:00 AM  
Blogger Ponita in Real Life said...

Oh dear... now I am curious to know more... you are such a tease with these tidbits, Jonas. :-)

Sun Sep 06, 08:23:00 AM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

Techincally, the thing that makes someone "eligible" is being unattached.

(My first thought was precisely what Deb said.)

Sun Sep 06, 01:15:00 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Great one Jonas. Poor guy. But at least she didn't leave you "wounded...deeply wounded". She left you with... *in my best Monty Python voice* "just a flesh wound!"

Sun Sep 06, 08:57:00 PM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

Look at it this way... her loss

Mon Sep 07, 04:10:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Thank you, Christella! And welcome. Kick off yer shoes and visit a spell. Share your thoughts. I'm sure we'll all be the richer for it.

Oh, contraire, Deb! It was the start of a quarter-century-long love story!

Yes, Ponita, tidbits are often better than a full course meal!

Being "unattached" and being "eligible" are two ENTIRELY different things in this poor pilgrim's eyes.

Ah, Jay...she "left me" a quarter-century later. The leaving was more than just a flesh wound. (But any reference to Monty Python is ALWAYS greatly appreciated!!!)

Her loss...my loss...great loss.

Mon Sep 07, 06:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I got chills!!!!!! I CANNOT wait to hear the next installment. Please. DO TELL. DO TELL.

I remember that December....it was maybe 25-26 years ago??? My niece was born that year and I remember going to pick her up for Xmas dinner and wearing a blazer and being hot.

Sidebar to Jay: loved that "flesh wound" skit from MP!!!

Mon Sep 07, 11:12:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

The night in question occurred in December 1984. 25 years ago...

Mon Sep 07, 11:28:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

And for those hankering for a bit o' Monty Python (and "flesh wounds") turn your attention to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eMkth8FWno

Mon Sep 07, 11:44:00 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

So when she left it was just a flesh wound. Just like the Black Knights flesh wounds.

Wed Sep 09, 02:44:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I gotta admit, Jay, there are times when the blind self-assurance of a "Black Night" is mighty welcome.

"'Tis but a scratch"

"A scratch!?! Your arm's off!!!"

"No it isn't"

Wed Sep 09, 05:33:00 PM  
Blogger Woman in a Window said...

Oh Jonas, I'd like to shake her. You were both right there on the precipice.

Beautiful, beautiful night. Beautiful writing, too.

Wed Sep 09, 08:22:00 PM  
Blogger Christella D. Moody said...

Hope you don't mind but I told this story at a party last week and people loved it. No one expected the ending.

Glad you like the post that you inspired.

Wed Sep 16, 07:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones