My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Monday, December 14, 2009

Once...



I don't know you
But I want you
All the more for that
Words fall through me
And always fool me
And I can't react
And games that never amount
To more than they're meant
Will play themselves out

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice
You'll make it now

Falling slowly, eyes that know me
And I can't go back
Moods that take me and erase me
And I'm painted black
You have suffered enough
And warred with yourself
It's time that you won

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you had a choice
You've made it now
Falling slowly sing your melody
I'll sing along


* * *

Gratuitous Non-Sequitor:

I love squash recipes (if nothing else, it "sounds" entertaining, no?).
Whatever.
I really got a thing for squash.

Peeling the suckers, though. That's a whole 'nother matter.

* * *

12 Comments:

Blogger RNSANE said...

This is a beautiful, hopeful poem.

Mon Dec 14, 10:09:00 PM  
Blogger Ponita in Real Life said...

Wistful thinking?

I've not heard of The Frames before... thanks for the introduction.

Mon Dec 14, 10:55:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this, RNSANE, I'm rather partial to the song myself.

Is it wishful thinking, Ponita? Perhaps. I posted this in response to Erin's comment regarding the previous entry. She mentioned "The Frames". I thought of Glen Hansard (the lead singer). That got me to thinking 'bout the film "Once" and the song that won the Oscar...sung by Hansard...presented here.

Not for nothin', the tagline for the film is:

"How often do you find the right person?"

Tue Dec 15, 01:28:00 AM  
Blogger Kass said...

If we only knew how to point the boat home.

Tue Dec 15, 08:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my favorite songs and movies.

Tue Dec 15, 08:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have seen the movie about a hundred times and the song is one of those that comes along every now and then that you just thank the powers that be for. Pure magic!

Wed Dec 16, 06:59:00 AM  
Blogger rebecca said...

Your writing always blows me away. Another gem.

Hope you are doing well...

Wed Dec 16, 08:57:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Um. Yeah. There are ALWAYS complicating factors, Kass.

It is a very sweet movie, Deb/Selma. I wish we made a whole lot more of those and a whole lot fewer in the "slasher" mode.

Rebecca! How nice that you stopped by...and made me blush.

Wed Dec 16, 11:09:00 PM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

Oh, I know this! It's good to be reminded of hope.

And I suppose you are tlaking about winter squashes, since the summer ones don't need peeling. I need to make some butternut squash soup.

Fri Dec 18, 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Ah, yes. Hope is a good thing.

Absolutely essential.

And good point, Ms. Peace Operative - While I harbor great affection for all members of the gourd family, it's the "winter" side of the family that entices me the most.

Having said that, I'll confess I'm on a mission to prepare a curry dish for tomorrow's repast. It may or may not include squash.

Sat Dec 19, 06:37:00 PM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

My cat Squash winced as he read those last lines over my shoulder

Wed Dec 23, 08:26:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Ms. Cheese, please, in the name of all that is good and holy, tell your kitty that the name "Squash" is derived from a sport that requires an enclosed court and rackets.

(And don't let Squash go anywhere near a computer to Google...no good EVER comes from felines surfin' the 'Net).

Wed Dec 23, 09:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones