My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Saturday, January 09, 2010

"He adores her..."


The comment jumped out at me as I read the letter. “He adores her”.

Really!?!

I had to ask: “Is she adorable?”

I’ve been kinda stuck on the notion of adoration ever since.

I can’t come to any conclusions. I don’t know either party. I do know this: I, personally, am not worthy of adoration.

Frankly, I don’t wanna be adored. Not just because I’m not worthy. That goes without saying. But, even if I were (hah!), I wouldn’t want to be adored.

I‘d rather be appreciated.

Adoration, to me, connotes worship of the divine. Granted, one can argue that we are ALL divine, but that’s a bit too metaphysical for my taste at this late hour.

I’d rather be appreciated. One human contemplating another.

* * *

Gratuitous Non-Sequitor:

I learned a new word several days ago: Anatidaephobia

Anatidaephobia is defined as a pervasive, irrational fear that one is being watched by a duck. The anatidaephobic individual fears that no matter where they are or what they are doing, a duck watches.

I haven’t slept well since.

* * *

14 Comments:

Blogger Gabriela Abalo said...

Hi,

I agree with you, I rather be appreciated than adored as the pressure will be to much to handle.

Great writing style. The gratuitous Non-sequitor is awesome!! I'm still laughing...so much that I borrow it and posted on my FB status.

Welcome to my blog.
Gabi

Sat Jan 09, 07:05:00 AM  
Blogger Woman in a Window said...

HA! Laughing my ass off! I mean, come on, who many scared shitless of duck people can there be that someone needs to come up with a name for it? (my regards to those who do suffer...)

Adoration suggests that there is a disconnect betweeen two people. Yes, one revered and the other an object. I am with you, Jonas. Appreciated, loved, never adored.

xo
erin

Sat Jan 09, 08:18:00 AM  
Blogger Kass said...

I'd rather be ignored than adored - had a stalker once.
I'm with Gabi - I'm borrowing the duck story immediately.
I enjoyed the music. You're right, Lenny is best with eyes closed. I was so with him every time he got up to the A flat. So plaintive.
And Rosanna - it's my next 'pull the blinds and dance around song.' Just the right length with the intensity I need to go crazy. Thank you.

Sat Jan 09, 09:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe there is a word devoted to the fear of being watched by a duck. Too funny.

Sat Jan 09, 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

I am a Duck and I appreciate watching you!

Sat Jan 09, 11:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wanna be adored

does adoring or being adored have to be a choice?

Sat Jan 09, 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

I still say you can have both. To my way of thinking, it's a false dichotomy.

Sat Jan 09, 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger Christella D. Moody said...

Your posts are always so thought provoking. I could say that I adore them, but instead I'll say that I appreciate your writing.

Have to run...a duck is staring at me.

Sat Jan 09, 08:09:00 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

I bet there are alot more ducks with a pervasive, irrational fear that they are being watched by a human.

Sun Jan 10, 03:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there a word for those who adore ducks??????

I think adore is getting a bad rap, there. I've been adored and I've adored and it can be ... bliss.

Sun Jan 10, 09:11:00 PM  
Blogger Scott from Oregon said...

That's where the expression "Quick! Duck!" comes from.

Wed Jan 13, 01:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adoring ducks would make anyone anatidaephobic. Adoration is too high of a pedastal for me. Respected and cherished is more to my liking...after all, I am too human and I don't like falling from high places...as usual, Jonas, great post...I will chuckle about the fear of ever present ducks for days...

Thu Jan 14, 09:58:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

This melange of comments cracked me up!

Thank you!

Fri Jan 15, 10:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to write a semi-sensible comment about adoration and then I read about the fear of a duck watching and I lost it.

It's true, you know. Ducks are sneakier and more subversive than they look. LOLZ.

Sun Jan 17, 09:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones