My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Me n' Lucky


Sooooo...my ‘cross the street neighbor gets herself a dog. His name is “Lucky.” I’m not sure if he’s purebred. Prolly just a puppy mill dawg.

Anyways, my neighbor’s got a young pup and I gots me a “crush of a lifetime.” Oh, yeah, Lucky stole my heart from the gitgo (just after he whizzed all over my feet).

Yes. It’s true. Lucky tends to pee hisself when meeting new friends. My shoes can attest to that.

Anyways, my neighbor has a young pup and Lucky is his name.

My neighbor is OK by me. She’s a hard-working gal, a Nubian princess, a single-mom-survivor. She gets by. She does right. I help her with clogged drains and a few car repairs. But she ties Lucky to a porch post most days when she goes to work.

Now, Lucky, you see, has more energy than a nuclear reactor. Lucky wails, whimpers, cries, barks and...whizzes hisself.

And, me? Well, it’s spring, you see. My windows remain flung open. Lucky’s caterwauls reverberate throughout my humble domicile.

Sooooo...I gather up bits o’ chicken. Buy a box o’ doggie treats. And I go outside to sit cross-legged with Lucky (avoiding puddles and piles as best I can). And Lucky? Well, Lucky pees hisself and does what puppies do: rolls on his back for belly rubs. Licks whatever comes near tongue-range. Lucky is nothing if not exuberant in his affections.

And so it begins: belly rubs, chin scratches, rib ticklin’s and snoot kissin’s. Then comes a bit o’ larnin.’ “Sit, Lucky.” Complete befuddlement. “Sit, Lucky.” A bit o’ chicken held high enough above, high and far enough above so that Lucky must settle on haunches to reach the treat.

Lucky’s a smart pooch. He caught the game right on. “Sit, Lucky.” Lucky sits. Then come belly rubs and snoot scratches aplenty.

Lucky now knows how to “sit.” Mebbe next week I’ll larn him not to wee on me.

Me n’ Lucky got a thing goin’ on.

* * *

14 Comments:

Blogger Kass said...

Oh, I loves yer Lucky. He looks like my granddog, Bentley, brother to other granddog, Lola (on sidebar). I applaud you for training and befriending this happy spirit. More pictures, please.

Sun Apr 25, 03:42:00 AM  
Blogger June Calender said...

Lucky Lucky to have such a neighbor.

Sun Apr 25, 07:00:00 AM  
Blogger Yvonne Osborne said...

Lucky looks crazy! Crazy lucky to have you. I've always thought if a person has to keep a dog tied up or penned up then they shouldn't have a dog. In fact, I wrote a poem centered around that same thing, well, no, not centered but beginning with. Anyway, I love the way you described this dog and your neighborly ways. But the barking dogs is waht I hated about living in town.

Sun Apr 25, 07:33:00 AM  
Blogger Ponita in Real Life said...

Jonas, Lucky looks like a Schnauzer... they are smart dogs. Train him lots... it will benefit all of you. I'm glad you've got a crush on the little guy!! It'll do your heart a world of good.

Sun Apr 25, 11:21:00 AM  
Blogger Gabriela Abalo said...

I agree with June, Lucky got lucky to have a caring neighbor like you.

Lovely post and picture.

loveNlight
Gabi

Mon Apr 26, 02:33:00 AM  
Blogger Wine and Words said...

OMG! This is so sweet, ya old softie. But who wouldn't love Lucky? Freakishly cute. And I'm a bit smitten myself, relating, at my age, to the incontinence :) Watch your shoes if I sneeze or jump rope!

Wish you would just kidnap the pup! Kills me that it is chained up all day.

Mon Apr 26, 11:06:00 AM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

[still giggling at Wine!!] hehehe

good luck with the pee training.. I had a lover of a Springer that out grew it at oh.. about 9 y.o. lol

"Twilight Dogie Daycare!"

Tue Apr 27, 10:54:00 AM  
Blogger Scott from Oregon said...

Maybe he'll get lucky and you'll walk him everyday?

Tue Apr 27, 05:37:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I loves Lucky, too, Kass.

I'm the lucky one, June.

I'm rather fond of animal spirits in whatever form, Yvonne. They've proven to be wonderful mentors.

Yes, Ponita, Lucky does far more for me than I do for him.

Thanks, Gabi. See above.

You can still jump rope, Annie!?! Me? I can boast of a vertical leap 'bout 5 mm tops! I'm jealous. Seriously. I am.

I got lots o' love to give and Lucky be my heartthrob, Ms. Cheese.

That's a great suggestion, Scott! I'll make the offer at the next opportunity. As it is, I try to walk for at least an hour each day. It's been a solitary pursuit. A dawg like Lucky would transmogrify my sojourns into true adventures.

I could use me a few good adventures.

Wed Apr 28, 04:22:00 PM  
Blogger anna said...

You are a seriously beautiful man. I think I felt my heart swell as I read this post.

Wed Apr 28, 05:33:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I wish, Anna (but thank you anyway). I'm not. I'm just a human being, broken in too many ways to count. I take my pleasures how I can, knowing that none were ever guaranteed...

Wed Apr 28, 05:49:00 PM  
Blogger Ponita in Real Life said...

Jonas, we are all broken in many way... all cracked and chipped... but all that makes us the 'whole' person we truly are...

Wed Apr 28, 09:01:00 PM  
Blogger anna said...

I'd bet that dog doesn't think you're broken at all.

Thu Apr 29, 01:27:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Thank you, Ponita.

Oh, Anna! Lucky's enthusiasms dwarf his discernment. But thank you anyway!

Fri Apr 30, 09:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones