My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Monday, May 10, 2010

Long After Midnight...



the poet crooks his ink-stained finger and whispers: “Come here. Listen up.”

self portrait

It doesn’t interest me if there is one God
or many gods.
I want to know if you belong or feel
abandoned.
If you know despair or can see it in others.
I want to know
if you are prepared to live in the world
with its harsh need
to change you. If you can look back
with firm eyes
saying this is where I stand. I want to know
if you know
how to melt into that fierce heat of living
falling toward
the center of your longing. I want to know
if you are willing
to live, day by day, with the consequence of love
and the bitter
unwanted passion of your sure defeat.
I have heard, in that fierce embrace, even
the gods speak of God.

David Whyte

* * *

8 Comments:

Blogger Gabriela Abalo said...

Yes I DO!! now you know...

thanks Jonas for sharing such great poem.

loveNlight
Gabi

Mon May 10, 06:20:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Even if we are not willing to live day by day & have despaired, where is the choice?

Mon May 10, 07:06:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Do drop by my blog and answer with ur lovely words...
thanks

Mon May 10, 07:08:00 AM  
Blogger Wine and Words said...

Count me in. I have loved this poem, so similar in sentiment to 'Oriah Mountain Dreamer - The Invitation', which has hung in my entryway for years. No one ever looks at it though. I must speak my invitation...with firm eyes.

Mon May 10, 11:19:00 AM  
Blogger Kass said...

This makes me want to "own it" with even more determination.

Mon May 10, 03:00:00 PM  
Blogger Smiler said...

That's seriously gorgeous. Beautiful shot too.

Tue May 11, 05:03:00 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Yes.

Thu May 13, 06:40:00 AM  
Blogger RNSANE said...

Incredible poetry...I'd never seen it before. Thank you.

Mon May 17, 11:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones