My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I THINK I Wrote This...

But I’m not sure.

It’s the oddest (and most disturbing) thing.

I keep a file of poems I’ve long loved, along with an assortment of my own that I love much less. Earlier today, I opened the file to retrieve a morsel to pass to a friend.

And found a poem I couldn’t recall.

I typically include the poet’s name below the title. This particular verse bore no name. I THINK I may have authored this, but I’m not sure.

I Googled and I Bing'd. I searched my blog. Couldn’t find either trace or tracks of poem or poet anywhere. I somehow think I may have penned this some time ago.

But I’m not sure.

I’m not sure of most things most days.

* * *

Baring Souls

This baring of souls
Is no trivial pursuit
The light released
Once turned to flame
Cannot be bottled
Or restrained again

This baring of souls
Is a risky business
The Cosmos quakes
As orbits former fixed
Transect and spin
Round Love’s revealed axis

This baring of souls
Be it song or scream...

Changes Everything



* * *

8 Comments:

Blogger Kass said...

Oh, you wrote it,
breathed it.
lived it,

and the planets
changed their orbits.

No wonder everything
seems off.

Wed Apr 28, 07:13:00 PM  
Blogger Ponita in Real Life said...

Words of truth... As only the heart can know.

It sounds like something that would have stemmed from you, from what I have grown to know of you here....

Wed Apr 28, 07:42:00 PM  
Blogger Gabriela Abalo said...

I think you did…


“Out of the quarrel with others we make rhetoric; out of the quarrel with ourselves we make poetry.” ~W.B. Yeats

A very powerful poem!
Thank you Jonas for sharing it with us.

loveNlight
Gabi

Thu Apr 29, 03:35:00 AM  
Blogger Woman in a Window said...

I both love and hate that you don't know if you wrote this. Of course, it's fun to happen upon something like this, but it is a good good poem and should be owned. It does sound like one of yours though, Jonas.

And the one you shared with me - this: "When the wind blew, you could hear them rubbing on each other." Pretty nice, Jonas. Thank you~

xo
erin

Thu Apr 29, 06:49:00 AM  
Blogger Woman in a Window said...

Is it wrong of me that I was very touched that you referred to me as friend? (Was it even me?) Either way, my heart is warm.

xo
erin

Thu Apr 29, 06:50:00 AM  
Blogger Wine and Words said...

I love it...and the last line hits me in the gut, where truth and experience collide and cement. I'm going to tuck it in my pocket for awhile, let the lint of page wear free from the ink as it expands into my fabric.

~Annie

Thu Apr 29, 11:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading about shadows right now. It's about baring one's soul, to one's self, the hardest of all. How to live with yourself, as you really are.

Lovely poem Jonas.

Fri Apr 30, 07:18:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Thank you, Kass. I do believe I penned that poem. It resonates vaguely within me. But, here's the thing: I'm not certain.

It's the weirdest thing. I got poems I wrote in high school that I recall vividly - their why's and wherefores. I got decades o' poems that I know sprang from me (miscreants though they may be).

But...this poem...this poem that seems to be one of my own creations, seems lost in fog.

Those who know my story know that Alzheimer's casts a dark shadow. I'm flummoxed and queasy.

But, thank you, Ponita.

Oh, I do loves me that Yeats quote, Gabriela! So true!

I'm glad you appreciated that poem, Erin. And I'm gladder, still, that you realize I'm a friend.

It warms the cockles o' my heart, Annie, to realize that words o' mine (allegedly) touched the heart of a word-artisan such as you.

Thank you, Deb. I find it hard to live with myself at times. Then, again...what choice do I have?

Fri Apr 30, 09:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones