My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Sunday, March 06, 2011

The Weary Kind



Your heart's on the loose
You rolled them seven's with nothing to lose
This ain't no place for the weary kind

You called all your shots
Shooting 8 ball at the corner truck stop
Somehow this don't feel like home anymore

And this ain't no place for the weary kind
This ain't no place to lose your mind
This ain't no place to fall behind
Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try

Your body aches
Playing your guitar and sweating out the hate
The days and the nights all feel the same

Whiskey has been a thorn in your side
It doesn't forget
The highway that calls for your heart inside

And this ain't no place for the weary kind
This ain't no place to lose your mind
This ain't no place to fall behind
Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try

Your lover's warm kiss
Is too damn far from your fingertips
"Cuz you are the man who ruined her world

Your heart's on the loose
You rolled them seven's with nothing to lose
This ain't no place for the weary kind

* * *

I watched the film Crazy Heart for the first time this evening. I’m glad that Jeff Bridges won an Oscar for his performance.

I’m saddened by the fact that I saw too much of me in “Bad Blake.” Wanna know what my body looks like? Looks just like his...just a wee bit taller...and older. Hair longer, beard whiter. Ain’t proud to admit that.

I’m haunted by the lyrics of one of the songs:

“funny how fallin’ feels like flyin’ for a little while”

Damn.

Some films hit too close to home.

* * *


* * *

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the song and the movie. Don't be trashing gray hair man, I'm letting my dye job grow out. Feels fake to me.

Mon Mar 07, 06:47:00 AM  
Blogger Ponita in Real Life said...

What's wrong with grey? Nothing at all. I'm going grey and I don't dye my hair... never have.

I've not seen the movie but want to. I've always really liked Jeff Bridges. I've heard it's a good movie... And looking like Jeff Bridges is not a bad thing at all. Really.

Mon Mar 07, 10:07:00 AM  
Blogger Wine and Words said...

The video wouldn't open, but I'll find it. Ture for me right now, I see my ugly parts in every song and movie I watch. They all kind of mock my deficiencies and bad choices. Time for some self forgiveness I suppose and a look on a brighter side. Even I have one. And you Jonas...for all the failings you see...are a kind man, and special from my vantage point.

Mon Mar 07, 11:21:00 AM  
Blogger PattiKen said...

Great song. I haven't seen the movie yet, but have seen clips of Bridges in the role. So what part of your likeness to him "saddens" you, and makes you "not proud to admit"?

Good grief, man, the guy's sexy as hell.

Mon Mar 07, 11:49:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

C'mon peoples, the term is "silver" not "gray"! And no, I've got nothin' against silvered hair. I'm rather fond of it myself.

I do recommend the film, but then I'm rather partial towards films of the "self-assessment" genre.

Yes, Annie, a bit of self-forgiveness is generally necessary.

"So what part of your likeness to him "saddens" you, and makes you "not proud to admit"?

Ah, Patti, that's not a question that is easily answered in a sentence or two. First, there was the very real shock of seeing a body eerily similar to my own. I'm at that stage in life when a glance at a mirror after stepping from the shower results in an involuntary "WTF!?! Shudder". Sigh.

But that's just scratching the surface. Although Bad Blake and I don't share the same specifics, we share dissipation, weariness, emotional isolation, the tolls and scars exacted by roads both taken and not.

Mon Mar 07, 09:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones