My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Saturday, July 30, 2011

New Wheels


I picked up my new bike a coupla days ago. Still kinda shaking my head in awe of the technology. This bike has a carbon-fiber frame and fork. Carbon-fiber crankset and pedals. Fancy-schmantsy integrated gear shifters/brakes. Aerodynamic spokes and a saddle that's a byproduct of the Spanish Inquisition. Oh, and the tires? They’re racing slicks about the width of my little finger. This creature is a sophisticated machine designed to fly precariously but as fast as possible.

It’s gonna take some getting used to.

My first ride was a thrill ride. Nothing felt the same, nothing came automatically. My torso was now stretched considerably forward, so much so that my neck muscles began to ache from the strain of keeping eyes forward. The bike felt ephemeral. The gearing is different and shifting required new thought patterns. I didn’t see much of my surroundings, so busy was I trying to wrap my mind around a whole new experience.

This bike is fast.

I mean faster than my brain. Faster, much faster, than my trusty hybrid.

Wicked fast.

I rode twenty miles and came home slightly shaky, neck aching and butt on fire.

Methinks I’m falling in love.

* * *

5 Comments:

Blogger secret agent woman said...

Well, I'm glad for you, although I don't see the appeal. I like the comfy seat on my bike.

Mon Aug 01, 09:47:00 PM  
Blogger Bernice said...

Ayyyy carumba! You and that bike will turn some heads!

Fri Aug 05, 02:15:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

There's certainly lots to be said regarding the joy of comfy seats, Ms. Quaker Agitator. There's also that thirst for speed. My butt and soul continue to debate the matter intensely.

Oh, "Lickety Split" and me certainly do turn heads. Just the other day, when I steamed home, face beet red from an intense tempo ride, I keeled over near my front steps (feet still locked on pedals), much to the amusement of the workers installing new windows on my neighbor's place. Oh, their merriment! Me and my new wheels are a veritable comedy team!

Fri Aug 12, 09:52:00 PM  
Blogger Scott from Oregon said...

awesome bike dude!

Sun Aug 14, 10:39:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Thanks, Scott. Truth be told, that bike still kinda intimidates me. Little by little, though, I'm adjusting. My gear shifts are getting a bit more proficient, my butt's toughening up some and my neck/shoulder muscles can now hang on for three hours before they begin whimpering. I gots me one more month of training before my very first Century (100-mile race). Methinks I may just get there. (Then again, I may not...this geezer body is chock full o' surprises)

Tue Aug 16, 08:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones