My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Thursday, November 10, 2011

I Dunno


I find myself saying this a lot, most days:

I dunno

I dunno if there is a God,

Or an afterlife.

I simply dunno.

I dunno if love is everlasting.

Thought I knew.

But, now, I dunno.

I dunno...

If the early bird catches the worm

If a stitch in time saves nine

Or whether an apple a day keeps the doctor away.

I simply dunno.

What I DO know,

Is the truth of this:

At A Window

Give me hunger,
O you gods that sit and give
The world its orders.
Give me hunger, pain and want,
Shut me out with shame and failure
From your doors of gold and fame,
Give me your shabbiest, weariest hunger!

But leave me a little love,
A voice to speak to me in the day end,
A hand to touch me in the dark room
Breaking the long loneliness.
In the dusk of day-shapes
Blurring the sunset,
One little wandering western star
Thrust out from the changing shores of shadow.
Let me go to the window,
Watch there the day-shapes of dusk
And wait and know the coming
Of a little love.

Carl Sandburg

* * *

6 Comments:

Blogger PattiKen said...

I dunno much either, Jonas, but I do know Sandburg had it right. And maybe you do too.

Thu Nov 10, 11:12:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I dunno, Patti. I feel a whole lot, that I do...but...when all is said and done, I really don't know much at all.

Thu Nov 10, 11:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely poem and he's got it right. Love is all there is in the end I think. It's the best part of us.

Fri Nov 11, 08:06:00 AM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

None of us really knows. Except for the sitch in time - that one's a blatant exaggeration - a stitch in time save four.

Sun Nov 13, 04:05:00 PM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

*stitch

Sun Nov 13, 04:05:00 PM  
Blogger Wine and Words said...

Ha! I wrote that ya know. Totally get it. One day you will question everything...

Oh Gawd yes...by the dim light of the flickering lamp, may there be a little love in the looming question. May there be a conspirator on our quest...a hand to hold. Ahhhh yes....please.

Tue Nov 15, 09:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones