My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mine Eyes...


...have seen the glory of a great many things.

They surely have. Not with great acuity, mind you. Being astigmatic, my perspective was always a bit skewed. I view that as a positive. The list of glories witnessed could extend for line upon line, page upon page, volume after volume with no end in sight.

These grey-green, yellow-flecked orbs of mine have served me well. But we’ve reached the end of the line.

Got meself a new pair of glasses today. Not that they’ll do me much good. Got me the news today, too, that my cataracts will keep me seeing double, in an ever-darkening fog forever after. But I didn’t wail like a baby the way I did some decades ago when I first learned I needed bifocals. I wasn’t prepared to handle decrepitude...then. I’ve come to understand decrepitude much better since. We’ve even bonded a bit.

Even so, today’s news gives me pause. Here’s a wee bit more of me needing to be excised. More body parts to be discarded. I’ve really no alternative. Cataracts, in some eyes, result in haloed vision. Heck, if every face I saw was bathed in halo, I’d welcome the experience. But my cataracts aren’t remotely that creative. I merely see blurs doubled.

I gots me new glasses, but I gots me appointments to make, surgeries to schedule and paperwork galore to examine via a magnifying glass. I gotta do what I gotta do in order to see the world as I once saw it:

Glorius

* * *

8 Comments:

Blogger PattiKen said...

Hey, babe, cataracts are a fact of life whence one reaches the Age of Wisdom. I hear about mine at every visit to the eye doc. But I figure I'm not wise enough (or blind enough) yet to schedule their removal, despite his assurances that "it's a painless 20-minute procedure." Yeah, I'm a wimp.

Wed Aug 31, 10:31:00 PM  
Blogger Ponita in Real Life said...

Well, Jonas, once you've had that surgery, you'll likely not need glasses at all, if you have both eyes done. Might still need "readers" though... unless they give you the multifocal lens implants. I'd love to have that! But I don't have cataracts, so I'm S.O.L.

Wed Aug 31, 11:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll live. As I tell a good friend of mine. Put your big girl panties on and deal with it.:)

Thu Sep 01, 07:14:00 AM  
Blogger June Calender said...

Seeing the world is SO important, do what you can to keep on seeing it. I had cataract surgery two years ago, first one eye then the other. It was truly painless, truly a miracle not to need glasses -- except for reading in dim light [just cheap magnifying ones] For me reaching the cataract sage of life was an opportunity to see the world with my own [sort of] eyes.

Thu Sep 01, 07:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laughing at Lilith's comment. I am sorry to hear about the cataracts but I hear the procedures these days are very very good. I wish you well, hon.

Fri Sep 02, 01:00:00 AM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

Assuming I get cataracts, I will have them removed. But not happily. I don't care fro the idea of someone cutting into my eyeball. Then again, I'm still in the stage where I'm railing abut my need for reading glasses. 45 years without a problem and then my eyes betray me. Three years later, I still often resort to just holding written things further away.

Fri Sep 02, 06:51:00 PM  
Blogger Wine and Words said...

THIS PHOTO IS AMAZING! It is amazingly perfect. And yet I have spent the weekend taking 583 photos of the most imperfect things. Anything broken down, rustic, battered, brusied, lopsided, warped. Imperfect Perfectitude. I don't know what else to call it. But my astigmatism seeks it out.

Sun Sep 04, 11:38:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I haven't rushed to have my cataracts "extracted" but I've reached the point where my vision is definitely compromised in ways that hinder joy (and everyday activities). I'm ready for the surgery, Patti. I'm not ready, though, to deal with my HMO.

I rather like the notion of bionic eyes, Ponita, but my optometrist informs me that my astigmatism will require corrective lenses. Even so, I can get lens implants that'll significantly improve my prescription requirements. I WAS holding out for X-ray vision, but I just can't wait any longer.

I got my big girl panties hitched up tight, as always, Lilith.

I hear what you're saying, June. The cataracts have got to go. Unlike you, I'll still need glasses, but I've worn glasses since the first grade. Six decades later, it'd feel weird not to have something perched on my nose.

Thank you, Selma. Yes, the technology is amazing. This is one operation I don't fear.

I've never been so blessed SAW. I've always needed glasses, then bifocals, then tri-focals. The cataracts have got to go. My eyeballs got their big girl panties hitched up, too. They're ready for the big improvement.

That's what I love about photography, Annie. One can glimpse the world through another's eyes.

Mon Sep 05, 08:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones