My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Friday, May 25, 2012

The Faster I Pedal...



...the more treacherous the ride.

I never expected this: a cycling season that began the first week of March when temperatures soared absurdly to July heights. 

I’ve since pedaled my way to the end of May.  I’ve logged over three hundred miles already...as compared to the fact that, last year, I only began cycling in June.

I count the miles and chart my progress.  I can’t believe what I’m seeing.  I’m riding so much farther, stronger, faster than I was riding by mid-summer last year. 

I’m only just beginning. 

I’ve become more proficient.  I shift through gears efficiently.  My pedal cadence is steadier.  I sweep through corners faster.  I descend hills at speeds I never matched last summer.

The thrill-seeker in me revels.  But the humble soul knows: the faster I pedal...the more treacherous the ride.

I’ve crashed at speed on a motorcycle.  It hurt.

I spilled on my bicycle several weeks ago.  It hurt.

I think about such things on long, fast descents. 

It’s all a metaphor.  

The harder the effort, the greater the passion, the bigger the risk, the more enticing the thrill...the harder the fall, the greater the damage and pain unimaginable..

Even so. 

I’ll try to pedal faster for longer tomorrow...and the day after that. 

I know no other way.

* * *

5 Comments:

Blogger Wine and Words said...

Great post. I am considering this descent myself....poised hilltop, yet unsure of going back the way I came, or down towards something new. Either way...I better get goin'. It's all a metaphor.

Sat May 26, 08:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not bad for an old guy:)

You know I joke. It sounds wonderful Jonas. Take care of yourself.

Sun May 27, 09:57:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Oh, Annie. I spent a few years teetering on what I termed "the precipice". (It simply didn't feel like a hilltop to me). Here's the thing: If the love was something of consequence, if the love was something that equated to sacrifice, pleasure, true value - then it makes sense to find oneself poised on a hilltop or precipice, not knowing which way to turn or how fast to pedal. Yes, it's all a metaphor. But you and I understand it clearly.

Thank you, Lilith! This has been an exceptional season. I never expected all that I witnessed, all that I enjoyed. Just yesterday, I pedaled faster than I had ever pedaled before. I don't quite know what to make of it because I generally don't do ANYTHING (at my age) better than I had before.

Mon May 28, 05:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds fantastic. I am impressed. Hope you're taking lots of photos. I'd love to see them.

Wed May 30, 01:11:00 AM  
Blogger Wine and Words said...

: )
Thank you Jonas.

Mon Jun 04, 09:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones