My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Letter to a Friend...


(never sent)


Dear _______,

You’ve been uncharacteristically quiet of late.  After all these years, I believe I know you well enough to know that you are either ecstatically happy or rather despondent.

Given that I’m a melancholic by nature, I fret that you might be hurting.

On the other hand, it is my own nature to wallow in happiness silently...and despair in torrents of words.

As a consequence, I am of two minds regarding your silence.

Should the truth be that you are busy being happy, then I will cheer you on in silence, knowing that Happiness, eventually, spills onto everyone.

Should it be that you are sad and struggling, know that you are not alone, that there is always a shoulder available to sop up tears...when the time is right.  I accept that the Time must necessarily be of your choosing. 

Through it all, I remain your friend.

Love,

Jonas

* * *

4 Comments:

Blogger PattiKen said...

Could be either. Or both. Self-preservation is a shape-shifter.

Sun May 20, 09:41:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Yes, indeed, Patti - it could be either or both. That's why I never sent the letter. I find it confounding to know how best to be a friend.

Sun May 20, 10:36:00 PM  
Blogger Secret Agent Woman said...

Is it too late to send? I think offering support in whatever form is wished could never be a bad thing.

Mon May 21, 06:59:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I'd like to believe the message was received without the letter being sent.

Mon May 21, 08:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones