My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Mopsy Was A Good Cat


She was more than that. She was a fine lady.


I adopted her when I was still “living in sin” some seventeen years ago or so. She’s traveled a long, long way with me.

I don’t even know why I traipsed into Petsmart that day and walked straight to the adoption center. It was just something I had to do.
I had lost my pets, my other dear friends, a few years earlier. I guess it was Fate that led me to Mopsy.

She was curled up in a corner, and I was immediately drawn to her long hair. I had never had a longhaired cat before. Not a one had ever crossed my path before. Now, here was this ball of fluff…with personality.

Beautiful as her fur was, the rest of Mopsy left a bit to be desired. She was sway-backed, like some broken farm mare. Her legs were short and stubby, terminating in impressively large paws. She was the personification of a dainty battering ram.

She was every inch a 21st century gal in her demeanor and spirit.
She was smart. Probably the smartest cat I’d ever known…definitely wilier than I. She had an independent spirit, an inquisitive, playful, courageous fire. She was a woman who knew what she wanted and knew exactly how to get it.

She had more than just a streak of feral killer inside of her. When we began our long-term love affair, she was apt to bite me hard when she wanted to get my attention or warn me to quit while I was ahead. Not one to take reprimands lightly, I would nip her ear. Never hard enough to hurt, mind you, just firmly enough to get her attention. Cats don’t “do” humiliation well.

We nipped back and forth for a few years. She was stubborn that way. In due course, we reached an accommodation. She took to simply mouthing me as a means of communicating, and I, in turn, would kiss her ear. We’ve lived together harmoniously ever since.

Mopsy was always on the “fluffy” side (if you know what I mean). When in full bloom, her stomach swayed at floor level. She carried it off well, though. The lady had “attitude” and style.

She had a long life. A full life. She was loved and she knew it. In return, she taught me her feline ways. I speak truth when I say she made me a better person.

* * *

Mopsy’s come to the end of her ninth life. I doubt she will survive the night. We’ve been comforting each other all day.

Mopsy was a good cat.

* * *

20 Comments:

Blogger Sunny Delight said...

I am so very sorry, my thoughts are with you, sending you many hugs to get through this night. "She was loved and she knew it." You gave her that gift, as well as the gifts she gave you.

Tave myliu.

Sun May 20, 08:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear this Jonas. It's hard losing a pet. You take care.

Sun May 20, 10:54:00 PM  
Blogger Frasnotic said...

Well Jonas, Sorry to say that Snowqueen abhors cats,especially long haired ones, but she does wish you strength in this time of grief. I know that losing a pet can be very sad. Best wishes.

Mon May 21, 07:48:00 AM  
Blogger anna said...

I am so so sorry. This was a wonderful tribute to a wonderful creature. It sounds like you were both lucky to have each other.

My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

Mon May 21, 08:22:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda Starr said...

Oh Jonas, I am so, so sorry. You told me she was ill--I didn't know how ill. I'm glad she had you, and you her. She looks so cute and your description of her so loving. I am sorry.

Mon May 21, 02:44:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda Starr said...

I enlarged her picture, what a gorgeous lady! Tounces says, sorry too.

Mon May 21, 02:45:00 PM  
Blogger Bernice said...

Oh dear Jon, you've had more than your share of losses lately. Mopsy is leaving you an inheritance, though....it's up to you what it will be.

Mon May 21, 03:15:00 PM  
Blogger Frasnotic said...

Dear Jonas,

I just re-read my comment and I must sound heartless. I am not. I really feel for you and for anyone who loses a much loved pet be it a cat, horse, spider or any other pet I do not much like). Reflect on the warmth of its love and companionship. Sending you a royal cyber hug. Snowqueen.

Mon May 21, 04:38:00 PM  
Blogger reciprocal solitude said...

I am so sorry! It is hard to lose a catbuddy. My cat was my best friend for 16 years. More faithful and reliable than any husband or lover-- I slept with him for many more nights and years than any man. Didn't snore either!

Mon May 21, 07:36:00 PM  
Blogger Sally-Sal said...

She's beautiful. I wish I could give her a hug and a big tummy scratch!

Mon May 21, 08:50:00 PM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

Animals teach us in a variety of ways about behavior, habit, and instinct. House pets embody an unconditional love that remains unchanged in the face of our shape, size, age, race, or gender. They care little for the differences between us and them and simply enjoy loving and being loved. Animals are amazing. Our pets, whether dogs, cats, lizards, or birds, give us constant companionship, unconditional love, and acceptance without demands. I send you peaceful thoughts and healing hugs.

Mon May 21, 11:19:00 PM  
Blogger Twilight said...

A lovely post Jonas, but so sad.
Kind thoughts to you and your dear
Mopsy.

Tue May 22, 04:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jonas, I'm so sorry to hear about Mopsy. Not only did she give you much, you gave her a safe, warm, loving home. I'm sure that she loved you as much as you loved her.

kent

Tue May 22, 11:01:00 PM  
Blogger Fiona said...

Nine years of wonderful sharing. What a beautiful celebration of that.

Leaving you a box of man-kleenex. She chose you wisely, even if you think you chose her ;)

Wed May 23, 12:14:00 AM  
Blogger mist1 said...

Oh, that's so sad. I'm sorry. I have to go hug Hissy now.

Wed May 23, 01:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry!!

We really get attached to those little guys don't we?

Wed May 23, 01:16:00 PM  
Blogger Greenwoman said...

Some of my dearest friends in life have been the kittys that shared my bed and my chair...

I'm glad you had her company for so long...its good that you have so many happy memories of her. Blessings!

Wed May 23, 06:42:00 PM  
Blogger Green-Eyed Girl said...

You were lucky to have her, and she you. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Tue May 29, 08:47:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I just wanted to say that I was truly touched by all of your comments. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

I would like to respond to each of you individually, but I find my mind drifting...

Forgive me.

Sat Jun 09, 05:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

unforgettable, thats what we are. every one, tho near or far....god bless you and your little mopsy too. sigh.

Thu Mar 26, 04:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones