My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The Whirling Dervish


I had cut the grass earlier in the morning. It was sunset, now. I stood in the open field, the smell of grass and fertile earth…the smell of summer…filling my nose.

I stood alone in the center of that field, a boy around eight or nine years old; just a scrawny-tall little kid in a tee shirt, shorts and sneakers. Just a small boy with head thrust backwards, staring at the twilight stars.

I don’t remember a specific thought. Perhaps I was standing there, staring and thinking. Maybe I was. Maybe I wasn't. I simply can’t remember. What I remember is that I stretched my arms out wide and began to spin. I remember spinning counter-clockwise. All the while, my head is flung back, eyes peering at the emerging constellations. I spun and I spun until my head was spinning faster than my feet…and I keeled over in a swoon. I was happy. More than that, really. I was ecstatic.

I had come to play...and the Cosmos appeared…to play with me.

* * *

10 Comments:

Blogger mist1 said...

I would get dizzy and fall down (I might even get vomity) if I twirled around like that.

Wed Apr 04, 11:18:00 PM  
Blogger Moi said...

What a yummy post!

Wed Apr 04, 11:40:00 PM  
Blogger Sunny Delight said...

Ah, the ecstatic bliss of those seemingly endless childhood days and nights of summer..... methinks the cosmos sensed a kindred spirit in its dance with you.

Wed Apr 04, 11:52:00 PM  
Blogger Drizel said...

wwwhooooohooo...that is so much fun...my sisters littl girl always want me to spin her...:)

Thu Apr 05, 08:43:00 AM  
Blogger Twilight said...

o"Star stuff contemplating the stars" - there's a little bit of Carl Sagan in all of us I guess, Jonas!

Great post!

Fri Apr 06, 04:53:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Mist1! I'm surprised you were able to find your way back here, again (given your...ahem...
navigation skills). I enjoy the dizzy and falling down. The vomity? Not so much.

Thank you, Ms. Gillette!

Mehopes, Sunny, that the Cosmos loves this orphan.

Thanks for dropping by etain.

Ah, yes..."star stuff." I love that desciption of all of us...all of this. Thank you for reminding me, Ms. Twilight.

Fri Apr 06, 11:32:00 PM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

Excellent! Wanna come stand and twirl here?? Ill even let you mow!

hehehe dang someday that line is going to work...

Sat Apr 07, 12:41:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

You gave up too easily, Ms. Cheesy! You had me at "mow."

Sat Apr 07, 12:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Whirling Dervishes whirl to find perfect. It is their spiritual journey. I think it's the same for small boys.
I remember rolling down hills as a child and twirling until I couldn't stand anymore. I don't know why I don't do that anymore. It's sad really, how we let go of those small joys we have as children, foolishly thinking that growing up is better and will bring us more joy.
I think I need to whirl a little.

Sat Apr 07, 09:00:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

We all need a good whirl every now and then.

Sat Apr 07, 10:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones