My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Never-Ending Rain


It’s a ten-hour ride from Knoxville to Chicago. By motorcycle. No dawdling. I’d enjoyed that ride many times before, but I knew it would be different this time. The weather maps indicated solid rain the entire way, the dolorous remnant of a hurricane that had battered the coast just days before.

OK. There’s a certain thrill inherent in riding a heavy machine through pouring rain at Interstate speeds. It gets real old. Real fast. It’s very much a “living in the now” experience. It’s surreal to hurtle through space, blinded by mist, stung by countless watery darts, slippin’ ’n slidin’, teetering on the edge of disaster every inch of the way. I pass an “outlaw” or two. Oh, one certainly pays one’s dues to be an outlaw! Those suckers truly suffer on days such as this...then again, I doubt many are riding all day and all night such as this fool. Riding in the rain, for hours on end, transports you to the world of never-ending rain. One comes to feel as if this is all that life is, and will ever be. Time loses all meaning. There’s simply roar and discomfort, blinding gray and constant chill in a never-ending dance with disaster. Strange world, that.

Life feels like that, too...some seasons...some years. I’ve been quite ill of late, and it’s come to feel like that endless ride from Knoxville to Chicago. Funny how it brings to sharp focus the only things I truly need: warm shelter, dry clothes, a warm glass of milk and a hand to soothe my furrowed brow.

* * *

8 Comments:

Blogger someGirl said...

"One comes to feel as if this is all that life is, and will ever be. Time loses all meaning. There’s simply roar and discomfort, blinding gray and constant chill in a never-ending dance with disaster."

Life definitely feels like that (right now, at least) Are you sure you’re not walking through life with me?

I hate to think that you are suffering....May I offer a sincere [& virtual] “hand to soothe your furled brow”? Be well…

Sat Nov 17, 01:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you're still not feeling better. Nothing much I can offer, other than an ear. Take care of yourself and get better soon.

Sun Nov 18, 10:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you've been under the weather, Jonas. As well as under the rain, clearly.

I hope the skies lift soon, on both counts.

Mon Nov 19, 06:28:00 AM  
Blogger Frasnotic said...

Somegirl beat me to a virtual brow wipe so I will send a virtual glass of warm milk. Here is to better health for you Jonas.

Mon Nov 19, 08:13:00 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

Did you forget a soft and comfortable motorcycle seat in your list of "the only things I truly need"?

Without that, you might need a "hand to soothe" your sore backside too.

Mon Nov 19, 03:19:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Ah, my sugar plums! Thank you for your kind thoughts, virtual brow wipes and glasses of milk. Your touch is very real, to me.

someGirl - we're ALL walking through life together, no? The human experience binds us together.

Thanks, Deb!

If the years have taught me anything it all, Roads, it's that nothing stays the same forever. There will be new, different, sunnier days (once the antibiotics finish their work).

Thanks, Your Highness!

Astute observation, Jay, but butts really do adapt...

Tue Nov 20, 08:36:00 AM  
Blogger anna said...

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. I hope those antibiotics kick in soon.

I love the way you described that seemingly endless ride through the rain. It spoke to me on a very erotic level. Rain has always been somehow connected to erotic thoughts for me.

Thu Nov 22, 09:22:00 AM  
Blogger Twilight said...

I hope you're on the mend now, Jonas.

Sending kind thoughts for better health and much more comfort.

Thu Nov 22, 09:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones