My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Monday, December 10, 2007

My Winter Night


The sodium vapor street lights bathe my little community in liquid amber. All is clothed in snow and ice, enveloped in a soft fog. In keeping with the customs of the season, the air I breathe is cold and raw. And yet, all I feel is peace and warmth, as my breath dissolves within the dank mist.

It is winter and all is quiet in the night. The earth serenely sleeps beneath these amber blankets. It is almost with a sense of shock that I discover that I, too, am at peace. Honestly, I almost didn’t recognize the feeling. It caught me by surprise. It has been so long...years, in fact...that I had forgotten how it felt to be at peace. To feel serene.

If there is such a thing as a landscape of the soul, this winter night is that for me. I am most comfortable as a solitary being, wandering through the quiet fog, safe amidst the snow and ice, this dream world bathed in a warm glow on a cold, dark winter night.

* * *

9 Comments:

Blogger flutter said...

I love the feel of this, warm and cold at once. Like breathing against ice.

Mon Dec 10, 08:57:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I'm not surprised, Ms. Flutter. I'm not surprised at all.

Mon Dec 10, 08:59:00 PM  
Blogger Frasnotic said...

Oh Jonas,

As a lover of ice and snow, I am SOOOOOO jealous. Fancy a switch to humid Indonesia????

I MISS EUROPE AND CHRISTMAS IN THE SNOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I am Australian and used to summer Christmasses.

Tue Dec 11, 07:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've refound your inner peace, it's a good thing to have. I think winter turns us inward, it's a time of quiet contemplation.

Tue Dec 11, 09:42:00 AM  
Blogger Twilight said...

Beautifully related, Jonas. As always. You are an artist with words.

Winter seems less demanding of us, doesn't it? Like an old, dear friend, with whom we can just be ourselves. Whereas in other seasons we often feel obliged to expand our natures and show off a bit. I like winter best, always have.

Tue Dec 11, 03:21:00 PM  
Blogger anna said...

I was so happy to read that you've found that sense of peace again. I was beginning to worry about you a little.

I'm also a huge fan of winter and snow. The flakes fall slowly and calmly and hug the trees and everything upon which they land. It's a wonderfully warm feeling, in spite of (or perhaps because of) the cold.

And don't you just love the way a snowflake almost tickles when it lands on your eyelash and stays there for a moment before melting away? :)

Wed Dec 12, 08:30:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Yes, My Dear Elves, winter has its charms. I doubt I could be happy in a warm clime. I need the seasons. The joyous springs, the sultry summers, the glorious falls and these mysterious, slumbering winters. They mark the passage of time, mirror the landscapes of the human soul. They are the spice in life's movable feast.

Wed Dec 12, 01:19:00 PM  
Blogger Frasnotic said...

So totally agree Jonas, I must have seasons, and they mark the passige of time in such a beautiful way.

Thu Dec 13, 05:50:00 AM  
Blogger Frasnotic said...

passage (typo)

Thu Dec 13, 05:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones