My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Things We Lost In The Fire


I was scrolling through the cable-channel guide a few nights ago and came across this film title: Things We Lost in the Fire. There came a teardrop and...in the blink of an eye...I was lost in metaphor.

I feel that’s what I’ve become: a rummager through ashes. Seems as if there have been a great many fires of late. Some were accidents, others arson, several were acts of self-immolation. Each destroyed whatever was still standing.

What is there to say as one toes aside debris in search of anything of consequence? I search for evidence of past happiness. I search for mementoes of joy. I inhale black soot and dream of what was and of what might have been. I search for clues, answers, something...
anything I can clutch in my soiled hands for solace.

* * *

But I take what I can get and piece
together a life. Being human
means dragging the heavy weight
of what you almost were behind you.

--Marvin Glasser

* * *

4 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

Very interesting metaphor.

And I don't know many who escape without baggage.

Fri Oct 03, 02:06:00 PM  
Blogger anna said...

Maybe it's time to stop looking for remnants of the past and at what might have been. Maybe it's time to look forward and at what could be in the future or even at what today can bring. Everyday is filled with opportunities!

Sat Oct 04, 11:20:00 AM  
Blogger Leon's current assignment said...

So you liked that poem, eh?

Yeah, it's got tremendous depth and clarity. A good poet can reach in to those crevices and shine the light on heartfelt, soulful cobwebs.

______

Sun Oct 05, 08:36:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Yes, Maria, it's the baggage I wish to jettison.

Oh, Anna, I'm already pacing the floor in anticipation of your twins! Your perspective is far different from mine. As it should be.

Ah, yes, Auntie Om, I liked (both) poems. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Poetry is the highest form of literature. (So there!)

Sun Oct 05, 07:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones