My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Monday, June 21, 2010

Sweetness



* * * Sweetness infused our conversations * * *


Family and friends re-connected a bit these past few days. A good number of conversations ensued. They were all infused with a palpable sweetness.

We’re a well-aged lot, my family and friends. We’re parentless to one degree or another. Liver spots proliferate. There’s a lot o’ gray and audible creaking.

There’s sweetness, humility and great love, too.

We’ve come a long, long way together. From youth, through adult preoccupations and travails, all the way through to decrepitude.
And we laugh quite a bit about all that. And we cry on each others’ shoulders every now and then as well. The love is undeniable. It has survived all manner of sieges and storms. Yes, indeed, we’ve come a long, long way together.

When we converse nowadays most of the truly important elements remain unspoken (but are deeply felt): the love, the loyalty, the history and the knowing.

* * * Sweetness infuses our conversations * * *

8 Comments:

Blogger Kass said...

What a beautiful post.
Decrepitude - love that.
I'm picturing a pride of spotted, hairless lions.

Tue Jun 22, 10:11:00 AM  
Blogger Wine and Words said...

It is that way...the most important elements go unspoken, go without saying, or so it seems. Then when one stands on the precipice of death, the need screams...."Hear me. I must speak. You must know. I cannot assume you know...all the sweetness."

Tue Jun 22, 10:15:00 AM  
Blogger Woman in a Window said...

You convey it in everything you write, Jonas, the sweetness. It is light. It is a strange thing that happens to us as we get older, isn't it? I have to say, other than the physical decrepit stuff, I kinda like it.

xo
erin

Tue Jun 22, 08:57:00 PM  
Blogger June Calender said...

Beautiful post, thanks for a moment of loveliness in today's reading.

Wed Jun 23, 05:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fortunate you all are. That connection is a priceless thing. I am really glad you have that!

Thu Jun 24, 02:34:00 AM  
Blogger anna said...

I'm so thrilled for you that you've had these moments recently. I can't imagine a soul crossing your path and not feeling love in some form.

Thu Jun 24, 12:40:00 PM  
Blogger Ponita in Real Life said...

I share the sentiments of each of the previous commentors, Jonas. You exude caring and love and kindness and compassion.

I love that photo... I have nicked a copy, if that's okay. It's gorgeous.

Thu Jun 24, 07:48:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Ah, decrepitude! I'm tryin' to learn myself to love it, too...

We're a pride o' lions alright. Kinda short on pride (and hair) but lions nonetheless.

Yer right, Annie. There comes a time when the truth of feelings needs be revealed. Such moments are beyond memorable...

I'm kinda with you, Erin. There's much I truly love about having wandered for decades on end. Then, again, there's the decrepitude...

Awwww, June. You made me blush.

Yes, Selma, I always say I am uniquely blessed. My friendships span four decades for the most part. There's something truly magnificent 'bout that.

Oh, dear. Having read anna's and Ponita's comments, I fear I may have painted a less than true portrait of myself.

I'm just human. Nothing more.

Nothing less.

Sat Jun 26, 09:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones