My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Face-to-Face



We chatted a few nights ago. She is smitten with her new 4G phone and eagerly anticipates buying a laptop with built-in cam.

Won’t it be great when we can see each other when we talk?

I’m not enthused about it” I answered.

Why!?!” (genuinely perplexed)

I’m not sure.”

That’s not a particularly enlightening response, is it? I feel duty-bound to explore my ambiguous reaction.

Thoughts manifest themselves in usual “Whack-a-Mole” fashion:

Perhaps it’s because (for all too many years) I’d certainly been seen but hardly heard?

Perhaps it’s because I’m a sucker for earnest or smoldering eyes? Truth be damned.

But...but...consider the exile who calls from worlds away to gaze upon a face loved beyond all others.

Would we be more respectful to each other if we saw inflicted hurt reflected in the eyes?

Would pollsters/telemarketers thrive? Will the "attractive" find jobs galore?

Will commerce blossom? After all, there are those who say: “Sincerity is the key. Once you can fake that, you’ve got it made.” What better way to fake sincerity than with batting of lashes and sparkling smiles?

Just sign on the bottom line.

I’d certainly pay more attention to personal grooming.

Might even brush my hair.

I dunno.

I dunno.

I dunno.

I DO know it doesn’t matter whether I know or not how face-to-face Internet telecommunication will play itself out.

I know that it’s inevitable and it’s just ‘round the corner.

That I will surrender...

And make an appointment to have my teeth whitened.

* * *

11 Comments:

Blogger Kass said...

This is a fantastic (can I call it a?) poem.

Really great. Hope no one steals it.

Wed Jul 21, 05:57:00 AM  
Blogger Kass said...

Oops. I forgot I was logged in to one of my other blogs.

Wed Jul 21, 06:00:00 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

It could be a poem, a contemporary poem or a play of words, a dialogue on the state of personal distance communications today, skype etc.

Thanks Jonas.

Wed Jul 21, 06:49:00 AM  
Blogger EREBOS said...

Just wonderful! You have an interesting mind. Words beseech my lips, yet are torn to find something worth while to say how magnificent this poetical ramble is.

PS: No one will steal this at Thoughts.com I would know your writings anywhere now.

Sara.

Thu Jul 22, 10:45:00 AM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

Oh J LOL!!! Please say it aint so... no no no do not brush the hair!

Fri Jul 23, 08:25:00 AM  
Blogger Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

fabulous post!

Tue Jul 27, 01:43:00 PM  
Blogger Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

http://itistimetothinkformyself.blogspot.com/2010/07/pick-one-or-two-to-share-follow-rule-no.html

Happy Tuesday!
Look to see if you like one or two awards there.
Cheers!

Tue Jul 27, 01:44:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Thank you, Kass. I wasn't trying to write a poem, but you can call it that if you wish.

It's true, isn't it, Elisabeth...it's whatever a reader makes of it.

Thank you, Sara! And thanks for stopping by.

I rather enjoy brushing my hair (or that of others).

Thank you, Jingle!

Thu Jul 29, 01:39:00 PM  
Blogger Wine and Words said...

Oh Jonas...I so agree. I won't answer. I won't I won't I won't. You'll never reach me. I do not want my face a reflection of an inner turmoil you should not see, should not know. I do not want my conflicts registered in milliseconds, subconscious micro expressions that we register faster and with more truth than any words. Chicken? Yep. Afraid of what I'll see, more afraid of what I will inflict. No thanks. "You have reached Annie. Please leave your message after the beep and I will text you at my earliest convenience."

Mon Aug 02, 05:22:00 PM  
Blogger PattiKen said...

I too have ambiguous feelings about any sort of video phone or computer camera, but I pretty much come down on the side of "I won't use it." It all has to do with the luxury of looking like the wreck of the Hesperus whilst at my computer any time I want. I would hate to have to be ready for pubic viewing just in case.

What I find more interesting is that, when I was a child and "picture phones" were all Dick Tracy and Star Trek, I thought it a wonderful idea. How I looked never entered my mind. Huh. That says something. Not sure what, but something.

Tue Aug 24, 08:46:00 AM  
Blogger PattiKen said...

P.S. It occurs to me that you're wondering who the heck I am and how I happen to be here, leaving opinions all over your place.

I was one of your co-victims of the Thoughts.com thieves. As I was flouncing around being outraged and hurt, I discovered you had been hit by them too, and discovered what an interesting writer you are in the process.

Tue Aug 24, 08:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones