My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Felix n' Me

Felix n' me go back a long, long way. Back to 1970 if memory serves.

He kinda clambered off the parallel bars (gymnast that he was) to shake my hand. He kinda wandered over to my room to bare his soul at odd hours.

Kinda revealed a bit.

Kinda not.

Kinda became a friend through sheer persistence.

But friend, indeed, he did become. He was the one who wrapped a blanket around my head and shoulders when I simply could bear no more. Played his flute when sweet music was what I needed most.

He asked me to be his best man. No one else ever did.

He moved half a continent away. Never felt he was all that far
from my heart...

Despite the fact we seldom saw each other.

Despite the fact we rarely called or wrote.

‘Cuz we just KNEW we’d be there for each other.

Yeah.

Felix n' me, we got history.

We got stories.

We got friendship.

(And I got me a few more close friends I’d love to write about...someday. People who’ve shaped me, made me, graced me. People who’ve made all the difference. Yeah. I got me friends. Without them, I’d have turned to dust decades ago)

* * *

7 Comments:

Blogger Ponita in Real Life said...

Oh yes... I have a girlfriend like that. They are the best, aren't they? She's been my best bud since 1972.

It's wonderful to have that kind of a connection with another human being, and sad that some just don't.

Tue Mar 08, 07:43:00 AM  
Blogger Ponita in Real Life said...

PS - You two were a couple of dapper young studs! :-)

Tue Mar 08, 07:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friends are the family we choose.

Tue Mar 08, 09:26:00 AM  
Blogger PattiKen said...

(Yeah, the hair and duds kind of gave away the time frame...)

My oldest friend is from 9th grade. Friends like that do become family, with all that being family means.

"Kinda became a friend through sheer persistence." I think you and I may share a personality trait.

Tue Mar 08, 10:18:00 AM  
Blogger Wine and Words said...

This is sweet. There's something so comforting about friends like that...foxhole friends...I got your back friends...

I like Felix. I like his flute, and his knowing when you needed to hibernate...throwing the blanket instead of telling you to buck up. I like Felix a lot and you can tell him I said so.

Tue Mar 08, 06:10:00 PM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

Friends are a blessing, that's for sure. I don't know where or who I'd be without them.

Tue Mar 08, 06:32:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I believe I'm truly blessed. My closest friends date back to 7th grade (1963 for those counting), added a few more a bit later. And they've remained steadfast friends for decades (despite scattering far and wide). They're my "Greek Chorus," my shapers, critics and seatbelts. Pretty much the only "family" I have left.

Oh, Annie, if you only knew! There's not just the flute. There's the saxophone, keyboards, vocals, exquisite jazz musicianship. And, yes, there's the comforting hand (and heart). The simplicity of faith, acceptance and care.

Wed Mar 09, 08:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones