My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Monday, May 28, 2012

Flying



There were times when I felt as if I were flying.  

No, this has nothing to do with aeronautics.

There were times when I felt as if I were flying, when my heart soared.

I came to experience the sensation often enough in my youth.  When first straddling a motorcycle.  When first caressing a breast.  When first experiencing awe. 

Many were the times in my youth when I flew.

My heart doesn’t fly as much as it once did.  “Ignorance is bliss” the saying goes.  That statement is valid enough.  To soar, is to be untethered from reality.   

There’s a lot to be said for freeing oneself from tethers.

But, then, there’s reality. Icarus, sadly, came to learn that lesson all too well.

Still.  Still.  Even so.

There’s something about flying that remains irresistible


* * *.

7 Comments:

Blogger Wine and Words said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K_4Xf52Ui0&feature=related

"Wild horses I wanna be like you
Throwing caution to the wind
I'll run free too
Wish I could recklessly love, like I'm longing to
I wanna run with the wild horses"

But then....there's reality :) Perhaps we'll fly again Jonas. You never know.

Tue May 29, 08:18:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Thank you, Annie, for the song/visuals. Yeah, that's what resonates within me, too.

I still have visiting the plains of Mongolia on my bucket list. I've read that herds of horses, numbering in the tens of thousands, still roam free there. I'd dearly love to see them.

I pass a lot of horse farms on my cycling sojourns. Their grace and beauty just kinda blows me away, particularly when they decide to lope along the fields. (I dearly love cows, too, but...let's face it, they're somewhat phlegmatic).

As for flying again? I dunno just how many flights remain in my destiny. If I came to believe there were to be no more, than I will surely shrivel and die. Therefore, I believe I will soar again, if only for a little while.

Tue May 29, 04:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard -
To soar, is to be untethered from reality.

WOW. I love it so much and it is so true.
I'm sure you will soar again....

Wed May 30, 01:14:00 AM  
Blogger Kass said...

Ah yes. I still dream of flying too.

Thu May 31, 01:13:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Thank you, Selma. I'm thinking I still have a few flights left inside me...

Given that you are a highly-creative free spirit, Kass, I KNOW you will!

Thu May 31, 01:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully put Jonas; I understand the feeling all too well.

Sat Jun 02, 09:24:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I can see in your art and hear in your words, Smiler, that you are meant to fly.

Sat Jun 16, 02:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones