My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Monday, November 26, 2012

Enriched



There are days that impoverish and days that enrich.  I’ve had me goodly numbers of both.  My simple intent is to strive to ensure the ledger balance ends positive. 

I’m acutely aware that earning my daily bread by trading in the stock market corrodes my soul.  More often than not, “winning” feels like losing because I know that others are being fleeced...and the consequence of that are, indeed, consequential.  Making money simply to make money leaves the soul a hollow shell.  Trust me on this.

I didn’t always make my money this way.  In fact, I embraced my environmental career as an opportunity to do some good.  The spiritual rewards from that far outweighed the monetary gains.  Cleaning up hazardous wastes sites, while a dirty business, brought me joy.

This dubious new phase of my life challenges me to seek enrichment, both in the short-term and with an eye on the long-term (still working on that “long-term” thing). 

I hit the jackpot last month.

On a Monday, I received an e-mail from a friend: “You’re coming with us to see Peter Gabriel, Thursday night!  Call me.”  Turns out my friend ended up with an extra ticket, so I was to join his family in watching Peter Gabriel (a big-time personal favorite singer/songwriter) perform a tribute concert celebrating the 25th (gasp!) anniversary of the “So” album (another big-time personal favorite).  Gabriel would be joined on stage by the original band (sans Paula Cole on vocals...sigh).  

Peter Gabriel, as always, put on a great show.  The man’s an artist.  His music, his stage sets/lighting are guaranteed to enthrall.  Though, it pains me to say this: he’s grown older...downright old.  It pains me to say that because I’ve aged every bit as much as he.

Be that as it may, it was a wonderful concert experience shared with beloved friends.


Then it happened again: a chance to attend a concert again with my old friend.  Joe Bonamassa was to perform in concert in Merrillville, Indiana.  E-mails were exchanged.  A credit card was put to good use.  I repaid my friend for his generosity at the Peter Gabriel concert.  We clambered into a minivan and drove to Indiana to enjoy a concert that...honestly...absolutely blew my mind.


I feel enriched.  Not because I’ve made a few bucks trading stocks lately.  Please, Lord Almighty, strike me dead if that’s all my life is to be.  I feel enriched because I was able to spend two evenings with a friend I cherish, enjoying the art and talents offered by true artists.

There are days I feel that Croesus ain’t got nothin’ on me.

I needs me lots more days like that.

* * *

14 Comments:

Blogger Yvonne Osborne said...

That's called living! I need me a few days like that.

Tue Nov 27, 06:06:00 AM  
Blogger Unlocked said...

April 18. Riches for the taking. If only I could get my feet to move.

Tue Nov 27, 03:16:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

We ALL need days like that, Yvonne. As I've turned my face to view the slowly setting sun, I've come to realize that nothing else much matters except relationships and experiences. George Carlin nailed it: "Trying to be happy by accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches all over your body."

Tue Nov 27, 09:40:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I understand how you feel, Ms. Unlocked. Been there. Done that. Still wear the hair-shirt. During my darkest days, I felt as if I were wading neck deep in mud.

Winter will pass and spring will come. I'm praying your feet will find their footing. There are, indeed, riches for the taking. I do believe there will be riches waiting for you to find them.

Tue Nov 27, 09:44:00 PM  
Blogger Secret Agent Woman said...

Rats, and here I was taping sandwiches to my body.

I think "a snow white pillow for my big fat head" is one of the best snippets of lyrics ever.

Wed Nov 28, 06:33:00 PM  
Blogger Jo ~ said...

it really is all about the connections and of course music! LOL

Fri Nov 30, 07:03:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I enjoy Peter Gabriel for a great many reasons, SAW: his voice, his lyrics, his entertaining stage presentations.

He's written songs that evoke all sorts of emotions. He's a great lyricist and he's transported me to all sortsa places.

Indeed, Bella. Yes, indeed.

Sat Dec 01, 10:24:00 PM  
Blogger beachsiggy said...

The music makes everything feel better. I've been out of work for a month, post-Sandy, and just went back on Thurs, now that I can get there again, the trains are finally back. Then on Saturday I went out with some friends from Ohio - we saw Don Giovanni at the Met, then a private concert by Charles Castronovo at 54 Below, a night club that feels like The Godfather, Part 89. I felt wonderful On Saturday, and the feeling is lingering pleasantly in my soul. With good company, music can heal all wounds.

Mon Dec 03, 08:11:00 PM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

How fun! Hope many more riches come your way.

Tue Dec 18, 08:40:00 PM  
Blogger Kass said...

Similar voices. I sometimes wish I had a little rasp to my voice.

Good music is healing.

Sat Dec 22, 09:59:00 AM  
Blogger Jo ~ said...

hey feller, Merry Christmas to ya! sending you a big ole hug from Kentuck!

Mon Dec 24, 08:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jonas, happy new year from the Golden State!

Mon Dec 31, 11:49:00 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

I've been SO remiss in responding to comments. Please forgive me.

Yes, indeed, Beachsiggy, "With good company, music can heal all wounds."

It can. It does.

Thank you, Queen Cheese. May we all find ourselves without umbrellas when Happiness rains down!

You have a beautiful voice, Kass. But, yes, there's the crystalline pure voice and the raspy, whiskey-soaked voice. I love 'em both.

Thank you, Bella and Mary. Your greetings meant quite a lot to this mute pilgrim.

Fri Jan 11, 12:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are blessed.

Fri Jan 11, 09:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones