My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

It Is Done

Room 1502...”Domestic Relations”, the realm of the Honorable Judge Berger. Her court exudes a stark solemnity. It is an homage to oak veneer and modernity. A paean to sharp angles and quiet efficiency.

Nailed to the wall is an eye-catching clock, bold and determined to show us the time...as if time mattered in a room where dreams come to die.

I feel dead inside this room.

The others seem as caricatures, each playing a dutiful role in this oddly intimate gathering: judge, clerk, court reporter, marshal, attorneys, my once-beautiful bride...and I. I am watching from a distance, from some place deep within. But I am dead to all of it.

I am fixated on the sunshine slanting through the hallway beyond the open court room door.

That sunbeam was the only thing that mattered now.

* * *

As my attorney and I were walking to the court house, she turned to me and said: “You paid a high price for your freedom.”

Yes, indeed, I had paid a very high price. Perhaps I’ll even come to learn I paid too steep a price. No matter. I paid what I had to pay
for that skinniest of slim chances to bask in the sun again. If only
for a little while. If only in my dreams...

* * *

On March 11, 2008, at 4:34 PM Central Daylight Savings Time,
I was granted the freedom to seek the sun...


* * *

14 Comments:

Blogger flutter said...

Go and bask in it.

Wed Mar 12, 01:43:00 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Well, like G. Dubya Bush said. Freedom isn't free. So lets find something to laugh about!

"Ah, yes, divorce, from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet."
-Robin Williams

"Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house."–Rod Stewart

“You don't know a women till you've met her in court.”
-Norman Mailer

“Why do divorces cost so much? Because they're worth it.” -Unknown

“The difference between a divorce and a legal separation is that a legal separation gives a husband time to hide his money”
Johnny Carson

“I've never been married, but I tell people I'm divorced so they won't think something's wrong with me. “
Elayne Boosler

Wed Mar 12, 02:02:00 PM  
Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Beautifully written -- makes me want to know more.

Wed Mar 12, 06:29:00 PM  
Blogger Frasnotic said...

Go on and be liberated, the best is yet to be!

Wed Mar 12, 06:43:00 PM  
Blogger paisley said...

in the prolific words of "auntie mame"... Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death! ...

go for seconds....

Wed Mar 12, 08:48:00 PM  
Blogger shadowlands6822 said...

"...dreams have always found it tough going in the glare of day..."
Jonas (09-01-2006)
For your promises not kept...I am sorry.
For the dreams lost in the glare of day...I will share a tear
For your hopes in the sun..there is tomorrow...let it shine, let it shine, let it shine...

Thu Mar 13, 01:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jonas. You are a free man. I like what Jay had to say.

Thu Mar 13, 02:14:00 PM  
Blogger Fiona said...

Celebrate the future and all its possibilities. What's done is done.

I like Paisley's "Go for seconds".

Thu Mar 13, 06:42:00 PM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

Bask in the man that is now you... cherrish him... We do!

Fri Mar 14, 08:55:00 AM  
Blogger Roads said...

New days, new dawn. Live the dream.
Be free.

Sat Mar 15, 07:10:00 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Congratulations on your newly acquired freedom. This is a time for celebration.

Sat Mar 15, 08:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your sadness over your 'once-beautiful bride.' I am so sorry but glad you are free. Let that sunbeam take you where it may.

Sun Mar 16, 07:16:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

You folks are balm for my heart. You DO realize that, don't you?

Tue Mar 18, 04:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jonas, I wish you peace of mind and heart. I know little about your "story" but I know the universality of the pain associated with endings.

In my work world it is said: good endings make good beginnings.

Let it be.

Sending comfort.

Thu Mar 20, 09:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones